baselayers

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

so i finally found some gonia capilene 3 long sleeve discounted and in my size...

does anyone stack up on synthetic layers? I already wear heavy under armour and don't know if wearing two heavy base layers for winter would be redundant or a good thing?

I wear 2 base layers when its cold out. I usually wear Nike Dri-fit long sleeve with UA Cold Gear on top and then layer with Wool or other stuff. Sometimes if it is really cold I'll add a layer of Duofold long-underwear type pants. If you are comfortable and have almost full range of motion I wouldn't think 2 base layers would be a problem. Just make sure the material doesn't pull too much moisture away from your body or you end up with terrible cramping all over. I go through the cramping a lot in the winter from having too much moisture loss from my leg muscles.

I like to use duofold and a northface base layer that I bought big just for that reason.

I got some Patagucci cap3 and like it. Not as tight as the under armour. I have good luck with 1 base layer then a few lighter layers of fleece over top. I have a pair of Polartec 200 fleece pants that i use for extreme cold and they work well. I just checked and those are on sale from Cabela's right now for $40 bucks.

I was originally skeptical, but I have a set of UA cold gear and all I can say is "wow". It does some serious wicking to keep your skin dry. And I'm impressed with how quick the outer layer dries too.

For instance, in deer season, I wore my set of UA like 3 days straight, of course it got a bit rank. With no washing machine handy at camp, one night before bed I took it to the sink, dishwashing detergent and water, then a good rinse, and rung it out, figuring with maybe a day to dry it'd be usable again. Hung it on a chair. Got up to nature's call at like 2 a.m., which was only 4 hours or so later, and it was BONE dry. Since then if I have no washer I sink wash it every night after using.

I do look like a stuffed sausage in it, but once you get past that its seriously good stuff. Mobility is better than most types of long underwear, comfort is good, keeps ya dry, and the secret to warmth is being dry.

One base than the insulated non cotton layers. The base is very good to wick perspiration away from skin leaving the skin dry. Insulation will keep the warmth in. A good idea is to ware a wind proof shell out side of that.

Back