base layering

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

big fan of layering... under armor up top

now on the bottom... what do you guys use?

I just purchased these from patagonia. Can't wait to try them out this winter.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-micro-puff-pants-special?p=19018-1-984#

Like Capilene fabrics as a moisture-wicking base layer undies-tops and bottoms.

If it is cold, I will wear my Redington Fleece Pants over the long undies then put on my breathable waders.

If it is super cold- I will go with the Capilene under my neoprenes.

I've worn patagonia clothing for at least 30 years, great stuff. the capilene I have now must be 20 years old and still holding up well. I wear both the mid wt and heavy wt, just depends on conditions.
any of the synthetic long johns will be light years ahead of the old cotton stuff.
my set-up,
base layer--capilene top and bottom
mid layer--fleece top, maybe fleece pants
outer layer--wading jacket, waders
if it's really nasty out, I'll throw on a fleece vest as well.
if you want to die, wear a cotton sweatwhirt and fall in the water.

Just remember "Cotton is rotten"! I have a friend who calls it "Death Cloth" LOL.

Capeline 2-3 or Simms Waderwick as a baselayer is what I've been using lately. Over that I have been using the R1 fleece pants and top and really have been impressed thus far. The R1 fleece pants when worn with Capeline 3 seems to be a very suitable substitute for the Reddington Fleece pants.

I've often wondered how those Micropuff pants would be under waders. When you have a chance to break them in, let us know your thoughts.

There used to be a place in Montgomery that had a contract for the army and they made poly-propelene long underwear and sold it only on black friday.

I have a couple sets of this.

Unfortunately they lost the contract and I believe they shut their doors.

Wool is the warmest , even when wet it will still keep you warm , i still wear my dads old Woolrich pants when it gets real cold and wool gloves are da bomb. Laayering does make a big difference though and i'm pretty sure my long undies are cotton mostly , thinsulate in the boots with wool socks stays nice n warm.

For those wearing base layers, do you ever run into the situation of it getting too warm in the afternoon?

I generally plan the thickness of baselayer for the conditions and also consider how much I'll be standing in water. I have had times where I get too warm in the afternoon an in those cases I generally unzip the fleece and baselayer to get cool again. I am a big fan of the 1/4 zip shirts for that reason. If that's still too hot, then I'll peel down a layer or two. It's not a perfect science but I've always found a way to make it work.

I always have extra baselayers in my vehicle, that way if I am unbearably hot or cold, I have an option.

I've been using this for awhile. Works pretty good but makes it hard to see risers.
envy.jpg

LOL nice!

When its cold, my base layer is under armor both top and bottom. I'm not saying its the best thing since sliced bread, but what I appreciate is how dry it keeps your skin.

Sender, I assume you have saw all the "Orange Men" at the Syracuse games? Pretty funny take on Green Man.

Back