Basalt CO

C

codym21

Going there this week, staying on the frying pan and probably doing a back country lake trip. Any other places worth checking out?

I was just in Basalt and had a great time. There were PMDs and green drakes coming off mid-day when I was there. I spent a half day fishing a small stream in the back country for cutthroats (I included a pics of the stream and one of the many cutties). I planned more back country stuff, but the dry fly fishing on the Pan was too good to walk away from. I didn't fish the Fork either, the Pan was just fishing too well! The Pan was a bit crowded (I took a shot of the crowds), but well worth it if you stayed away from the most famous pools or spots right by a pullout. Stop into Taylor Creek Fly Shop, that place is great and the guys there were very helpful.

I had three full fishing days. The first day was nice. The second and third days were rainy and overcast. I caught a ton of fish. I had great dry fly fishing with the PMD, BWO, and green drake hatches. I caught a few on midges in the morning too.

I saw a ton of fish rising each day. They are fished over hard and well educated. The strange thing was that I never put a fish down. Instead, if a fish realized the fly was a fake, it would just let the fly drift by and then take a natural right after the fly passed. I moved a lot of fish that aggressively came up to eat and refused the fly at the last moment. If you have the discipline to let the fly continue to drift, the fish might come back around and eat. I caught a few fish this way, but its hard not to strike when the fish acts like its taking the fly.

Have a great time!

Here are a few pics from my trip.

Attachments

• Frying Pan River 1.jpg
    Frying Pan River 1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Frying Pan River 2.jpg
    Frying Pan River 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Frying Pan River 3.jpg
    Frying Pan River 3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Frying Pan brown close up green drake.jpg
    Frying Pan brown close up green drake.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Frying Pan brown in the net.jpg
    Frying Pan brown in the net.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 4
  • frying pan rainbow.jpg
    frying pan rainbow.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 4
  • Frying pan brown.jpg
    Frying pan brown.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Crowd on the Pan.jpg
    Crowd on the Pan.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Small stream cutthroat.jpg
    Small stream cutthroat.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Small stream.jpg
    Small stream.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 4
  • the release.jpg
    the release.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
nice photos!

Nice color on that bow. CO is great in late summer cause the water is still cold and the air temps are very comfortable.

Thanks Raftman!

Akid, I spotted that bow holding in the tail of small slick on the far bank, it was gleaming red through the crystal clear water. I watched for a bit after I spotted it and noticed it was quietly sipping PMDs every few minutes. I almost got swept away crossing the river to get into position. It was eating very selectively and ignored the first several drifts. Eventually it ate and leaped several times before I was able to net it. It was one of the most memorable fish from this trip.

That's great. If it was easy, it wouldn't be memorable.

cody- you could try the Crystal river- pretty close by

Cody,

Use long leaders & 6x & 7x fluorocarbon tippet on the pan. Grease the tippet to keep it from sinking. Keep an eye on the kind of bugs and stage that the fish are keyed in on, these fish are very selective. It's pretty technical fishing. Good luck on your trip!

-B

My parents live in Aspen(since 1984). What I would recommend is the river above Reudi reservoir. It is not as famous as the trophy water below the dam and doesn't have the mysis shrimp, but it has plenty of trout.

The largest trout I ever caught in my life was above the reservoir and I've been to Alaska twice. My father really can't wade anymore so his guide takes him up there where he can fish from the bank and still catch fish.

My father fishes with a guide at Taylor Creek in Basalt. I think his name is Matt. He grew up fishing the Lake Erie tribs.

Ditto the Crystal River as well. It gets nowhere near the fishing pressure.

Boychik, great post, you must have the blast there.

Thanks for the info everyone, Ill have to check out the crystal as well.
Boychick looks like you had a great time. Great pics!
Ill report back with how it went.

We were there a few weeks ago and had a blast. We stayed at Taylor Creek Cabins which are owned by Frying Pan Anglers. Great people and the cabin includes a mile of private stream. Price isn't any more than a hotel room either. We fished up at top end near toilet bowl the first day and only picked up a few fish. They are SMART! After that we spread out and fished a lot less pressured sections and caught a ton on PMD's and Green Drakes. Stop in at Frying Pan Anglers for some flies and advice.

Earlier in the week we hiked up to 2 alpine lakes, which was pretty much a bust. There were a ton of fish there but they were really educated. I was shocked at the number of people willing to hike 2 hours to fish, but there were a bunch there. Plus the water was so clear and not moving obviously so the fish had time to stare at the fly/leader and pick out the naturals. Talk about frustrating. It was absolutely gorgeous though!

I'll second the post on fishing above the Reudi. It's tough to figure out the access there, but once you do the fishing's great and no people. Ask in the fly shop to get the details of where to go there.

Good luck!!

Back