Barometric Pressure and fish behavior

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member

Interesting article about how barometric pressure effects (or doesn't effect) bass.

https://activeanglingnz.com/2019/10/13/the-barometric-pressure-myth/?fbclid=IwAR0-uE9IBPZZjU2QUl9Ub66QRW0fofizOFqEA28oXE0YYAzeOJAFcnCtNk4

Interesting.
There's growing consensus in the scientific fisheries world that casts doubt on the old angler view (myth?) about barometric pressure affecting fish activity.

However, I've long been in the camp that thinks river bass and muskie fishing improves on a falling barometer. Conversely, post frontal conditions often fish poorly. However, the whole idea of barometric pressure affecting fish is counter intuitive and I'm skeptical as to why this seems to happen. More likely it's changes in weather patters that predict less sunlight or rising water levels due to rain(?).

Whatever the case, I will continue to expect better fishing with approaching storms and frontal conditions.

In addition to what Dave W. says in post #2, I recall the old timers telling me when I was young that the day after low pressure leaves and is replaced by a sunny high that the fishing is usually not too good. I have to agree with what they said, though I've had a few good days under those conditions. But, usually not.

Now I'm an old timer and am dispensing this "wisdom." :)

They still sell barometers with "best fishing" etc on them. It would be an interesting study to use the info and fish around the barometric movements. I can say that I believe the effects in salt water are true. I've been offshore when a front would go through and the fish would turn on as the front approached and really chew. Once it passed it would take about three days to get stable and get the fish to feed.
Years back there was a window before a front hit and a friend of mine and I killed the grouper in shallow water. We came back in some really snotty conditions. GG

“The best plan is to fish as often as possible, even when the conditions and indicators may not appear conducive to fishing. Confining your outings to days when the conditions are “barometrically ideal” means you are missing out on many opportunities.“

Vindicated!!!!
I believe and practice this but now this article re-enforced my practice. Any doubt I had is passing away slowly.......although there is that one tweety bird way in the back of my head that is telling me to watch the barometer.
Thanks for another great article.

The best musky fishing I ever had was when a snow storm was approaching in November. Caught two over 40" and saw several others that day in about a three hour period. The water looked glassy and it just had a certain feeling. Another one I caught just as a thundrstorm rolled in and I was racing toward the boat ramp and just threw a big rapala out and trolled it for the heck of it.

For trout fishing, I've had some pretty good days right before a front comes through - whether it be a cold front, or just a lot of rain.
I don't know if it's anything to do with barometric pressure or not.
I've kinda just attributed it to the calm before the storm, which seems to be good for hatches and rising fish.

On a similar note, I've seen pieces in magazines about the "Solunar Tables" - which forecast the best fishing according to the phase of the moon
Usually these things call for the best night fishing on dark nights with no moon showing at all.
And not good fishing during full moon lit nights.

I've disproved that theory many times - having great fishing on nights that were so lit up bright by a full moon, that I could see the fish rising to flies that were hatching.
And actually able to see my fly floating and being taken by fish

Back