Bang For The Buck

F

foxfire

Looking for a decent 5wt. 9' combo for under $200.00 (I tend to be very hard on equipment). Narrowed to these three. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!!!

L.L. Bean - Streamlight, $185.00
Orvis - Encounter, $169.00
Cabelas - RLS, $149.00

Get an old Sage used if you want bang for your buck. XP, Z-Axis maybe. Even an RPL. You may be able to find a One used around there, but that rod is super weird if you're unfamiliar with it. It's light, can do it all, but the tip is very stiff and the rod isn't fun, granted it's a laser pointer.

http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm

Take a look at the Douglas DHF $179.00. Bought one for my son and he loves it. Their rod designer comes from Hardy/Greys, so there are many similarities. Scored well on the Yellowstone Angler 5 wt Shootout. This is a great rod at a very reasonable price.

http://douglasoutdoors.com/dhf-rod-series/

Thanks!! Looking for a combo though from thee three listed.

I have a smaller Bean Streamlight for a Brookie rod and like it. Classic middle of the road med/fast. That being said, I’d say the rods are probably pretty even quality/component wise. Comes down to personal preference in the action and feel.

I also have a larger Bean Streamlight reel that I use on my 5/6 wts. The reel you’d get with the Bean combo is by far the best of the bunch. Realistically it competes with reels one or two models up in the Orvis or Cabelas lineups from what is offered in those combos. Granted, the Bean is the most expensive of the group…justified in large part due to the better quality reel though IMO.

If the reel isn't important for how you plan on fishing it, and will just be a line holder, then I'd base my decision largely on what rod you personally like best, as they're not that far off in price. If a higher quality reel is important for this setup, there's an advantage to the Bean IMO.

My first rod was the rls combo and I enjoyed for a couple years before upgrading. I never had the encounter 5wt, but I did buy the 8wt for a cheap salmon rod and honestly I'm not too impressed with it. I feel like for the price of the encounter you could buy a clear water rod and a cheap reel, it'd be a little over budget but better than the encounter IMO.

+1 for used sage. Blows your 3 choices out of the water.

Thanks Swattie, all good points!!

Also maybe look at the offerings from Echo. The older Solo was a very nice casting & fishing rod and I imagine the new Base model is also. Both available as outfits at your price point...

DavidFin wrote:
Get an old Sage used if you want bang for your buck. XP, Z-Axis maybe. Even an RPL.

Your not going to find a used XP, SP or Zaxis for $200. They have a cult following not unlike the LL crowd.
But, you're right. The RPL 905 is much better than anything else mentioned. A friend has my old one and once in a while he lets me fish it while he sits on the bank to rest his bad knees.
Looking back, it probably was the only trout rod I really would ever need in my lifetime.

Back