Bamboorods, where to start?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

I fished all graphite rods until late last year when i tried a fiberglass rod. I liked it and bought two to play with. I'd like to try bamboo but they are a bit pricier. Certainly not in the price range to buy a couple to try different actions. Any suggestions on how to try them out without sinking a lot of money into them and finding you don't like the action? I know that many shops let you cast a rod in the grass out back but that never seems quite the same as on the stream. If I eventually liked the action I don't mind making an investment.

Go to one of the Bamboo Gatherings, there you will be able to cast until your heart is content and you will walk away with a taper that you’ll love or make friends with a local Bamboo Rod Maker (that helps) they usually have a few rods around. You can always purchase a blank and build it out yourself.

Joe E.

Any idea how to find any gatherings in eastern PA? I am going to stop by The Feathered Hook and talk to Jonas next weekend.

There is going to be one next month, 9/21 through 9/23. It’s just an un-official get together but there is usually plenty of rods to try. I know Bill Taylor, a maker in Boiling Springs will be there and he usually brings a bunch to try also. Here is the link. http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/377
Where in Bucks County are you located? I have a couple of rods and perhaps we could get together. Also, although it’s a while off, the Fly Fishing Show at Somerset is loaded with builders and makers.

Rolf

If you are looking at getting started with bamboo, going fishing with Rolf is probably the best way. Be prepared to make a new friend!

Thanks Pad. The six pack is in the mail.

Rolf

Here is another possibility...
http://www.cffcm.net/event_challenges2007.htm

Thanks Rolf, I live in Jamison. Looks like I'll be up in central PA a good bit the next two months. Maybe we can hook up once my schedule clears. Thanks for the offer.

I've made the Fly Fishing show a few times but didn't have an interest in anything but graphite at that time. Of course while I say that I'm building my first rod and it's graphite.

Just checked the link on your gathering. If it's 9/21 I might be up there that weekend.

I live about ten minutes from you so if you feel like just lawn casting a few to get a feel for them, please let me know. My e-mail is rjacobsen13 at comcast.net. The gatherings are not just for makers. Quite a few who attend are there just to try different tapers and are like yourself.

Rolf

This may be premature, but not all bamboo rods cost a thousand dollars.

You can pick up a South Bend 290 for a lot less. And ask about restoring rods when you are at the gathering. I wouldn't do restoration on a "good" rod (at least not for my first project) but it's a great way to get a good rod at a fair price.

Pad I've cast Tim's SB 290 and have always wanted to get one. It's a great rod at at reasonable price.

Rolf; Has anyone in your group contacted the B&B for stream conditions? I drove by there today. Elk Creek is bone dry above the B&B. I mean no puddles, not even mud or damp earth. Just below there I saw stagnet areas on the stream. Through the narrows there was a low but not alarmingly low flow. Must be some water coming in right above the narrows. I didn't stop to check the temperature but I did check temps on Penns. Good news is water was 63 Deg below the confluence of Pine and Elk all the way to the Coburn tunnel (at noon). There were sporadic rises and also a few working the bottoms of the runs. I take that as a good sign that Penns has weathered the summer. Flows are low so some rain is needed. My uncle who has farmed in Buffalo Valley for 50 years (the next valley east of Woodward) say this is the second worst drought he can remember. I also checked two mountain streams in the area and they were very low.

Rolf,

Paul G gave me one to restore. I love the thing! I put a DT6 on it, and it really throws a nice line. I'm not a great caster for distance, but it throws accurately and with a nice zip.

Joe to date no one has checked conditions, at least to my knowledge. Hopefully there should be some good water in the area even if Elk is a wash. The ironic thing is if you read the title of the thread for this get together, it mentions Potter County. We had it there twice. The first year was the year of the floods and EVERYTHING was blown out. The second year was a drought and EVERYTHING was dry. So last year we decided on Boiling Springs. This year we chose the current area. As you know, the low water is pretty wide spread. We fish Fishing Creek in Columbia County a lot and it’s been really dry. So much so we have not gone up since June. Hopefully we’ll luck out. I would suggest not buying anything until you try at least a few rods. Hell, if you’re lucky, you may not even like them. Any idea what length and weight you might be interested in?

Rolf

I'm thinking 3 or 4 weight for smaller streams, probably about 7'6" to 8'. My interest stems from buying a fibergalss rod for small streams and finding I like the action for those situations. Also as a new flyfisherman I'm starting to develop a feel for various rod actions and want to experiment. Most of my rods are fast action graphite. I tend to cast very tight loops and it would seem (from my experience with my fibergalss) that slower actions would help open my loop for nymphing. Also the fiberglass rod loads with less line out. Since both my son and my brother are starting to FF I am able to hand down rods I don't like. But I'm not generous enough to start handing down $800 bamboo rods. Anyway this is a rare occasion I will look before I leap. Thanks for all the inputs.

Steve not many makers offer an 8’, three weight but plenty make a four. Bill Taylor in Boiling Springs makes a very nice 8' three and it’s hollow built to cut down on the weight and quicken the action. I almost bought one last year but before I could, he showed me a 6’9” three weight I refused to let go of once I had it in my hands. Bill should be there in September too. I think you’ll find bamboo can be almost as fast as graphite if that’s your preference. I also agree with liking fiberglass. I have two and really enjoy them. My offer still stands if you ever wish to try some of mine, even to lawn cast. I live in Warminster.

Back