Bamboo

Wulff

Wulff

I asked this question a LONG time ago...I figured maybe I'll get some new responses. Anybody else fish bamboo?

I'll fish bamboo on days when I'm confident I'll be facing certain conditions. For example: the 7'9" 4-wt was my "ant rod" last week on a spring creek.

In my opinion, my bamboo isn't as versatile (tighter thresholds) than glass or graphite.

I use bamboo for all my trout fishing.

Yes, and also Glass. Plastic rod on occasion, but some years I never touch them.

Yep

Not as much as glass, but occasionally.

Tried it a few times and for me do not see any advantage over glass or graphite. Also dealing with metal ferules and the added care of the rod itself is something I don't have the desire or time for.

Yes, I also fish fiberglass and graphite. I fish bamboo the least of the three however as IMO it's not as versatile as either glass or graphite. Good dry fly rods though.

For dry fly fishing, 90% of the time I fish bamboo. I just enjoy the way a bamboo rod feels when you cast it.

Sometimes, just to relax, I will take one of my bamboo rods out in the backyard for ten or fifteen minutes and make a few practice casts.

For nymphing, I fish graphite 90% of the time and I have a little Fenwick glass rod that I like for small streams.

Wood/glass/graphite/boron = 60/20/10/10 % of the time.

Yeah, count me in as pretty much exclusively cane rods for trout up to a 6wt. Plastic comes out for bassin' with a 7wt because I'd rather smash a warranty-able tip with a poorly cast Clouser than a nice hand crafted cane rod. Otherwise fishing those couple graphite and old glass rods I have in the quiver is mostly a once a year novelty.

tomitrout wrote:
Plastic comes out for bassin' with a 7wt because I'd rather smash a warranty-able tip with a poorly cast Clouser than a nice hand crafted cane rod.

The difference is though, that warranty-able tip will smash, but the cane probably won't. At least one of my cane rods has been run over by a car, with no damage other than bent guides.

Bassin' is one of the reasons I'll switch to graphite, though, unless I'm only planning fishing for an hour or two. A 9 foot rod rated for HCH gets heavy if I'm fishing all day.

Well, sure, the graphite is probably more prone to failure due to that sort of impact and I'm aware of cane's durability, but I'm not risking my T&T 6wt Classic w/ the 3 3/8" St. George while stumbling around the Susky or jumping in and of a boat...had a stumble this morning and bounced my Lamson off a rock dinging the rim a bit, was immediately happy with my choice of not rigging up the T&T/Hardy combo. Smaller, more familiar water like Breeches or Sherman's size and I'll probably have the 6wt in hand.

I wouldn't risk a T&T Classic, either, but I'm more than willing to risk Montague Red Wing.

heh, yeah....one of these days I'll have a knock around bamboo bassin' rig.

ALL THE TIME. Love fishing them!

Hoping to get out my WM 8642 today.

Back