Bamboo Rods

G

GreenWeenie

Anyone use them? I don't, never casted one just wondering if anyone on this board does use them.

Green Weenie, I do and recommend J.C. Zimny's work
See it @ http://www.bamboorods.com/
I am most partial to his Quads however the Hex's are great.
Not a low modulus material in the hands of a craftsman.
John's rods Dampen qmore quickly than most and are a pleasure to cast. I believe there is a 1 year wait .
Rick

I have one bamboo rod, an 8' 5 wt from Dreamcatcher Rods in Chambersburg. Personally, I love it, though the weight took a little getting used to. While not as powerful my GL3 (closest graphite stick in length and weight that I own), it is more enjoyable to cast. I think I'm actually more accurate with it. This time of year, it doesn't see much use. Come dry fly time I'll drag it out, find how much I like it all over again, and for a while it will get more used than any of my others.

Rods:

7.5 ft 4/5 wt Cortland GRX with 5 wt line - brookie rod
8' bamboo - dry fly rod
9' 5 wt Loomis GL3 - standard use rod.
9' 7 wt Sage Fli - bass and steelies.

Plus my wife has a 9' 5 wt Orvis TLS Power Matrix, and she doesn't fish much, so this serves as my backup rod. I like the GL3 a lot better anyway.

I fish with bamboo. I'm far from an expert but what would you like to know?

Rolf

I started building bamboo rods in 1996 when I had the option of buying a bamboo fly rod or start down the road of making my own rod and three years ago started playing around with Quads. I now only use bamboo and believe it or not I have just as much fun making a rod as I do fishing them. However, building rods, tying flies and fishing are not my first priorities anymore with the kids and wife they are hobbies. With my shop in the basement almost completed the way I want, it is making it a lot easier to slip down at night for a few hours after the kids and wife go to bed. The kids like to come down in my work area, my 2 year old likes to plane strips with help from me and the 7 year old wants to know which rod on the bench is her rod. I don’t own any other makers fly rods, however, I try and cast as may rods as I can at shows (when I can get to them). I’ll fish anything from a 4’0 to 10’0 rod and as a friend of mine likes to say the right rod in the hands of a good fisherman becomes a weapon. I prefer shorter rods 5’ to 7’6” unless I’m nymph fishing or fishing for smallies in the river. If you are in the market to buy a bamboo fly rod the only thing I can say is cast as many rods as you can before making the purchase and buy a rod that you are going to use 90 percent of the time. IMO don’t spend the money and leave the rod at home.

Joe E

I’ve been considering a bamboo rod but honestly I know nothing about them. I see postings on various websites about someone who used graphite all their life and picked up a bamboo and sold all the graphite rods.

For those who fish bamboo what makes the bamboo rod feel better to you?

Well, I would say first that there is a bigger degree of difference between rods. In graphite, we have different actions. But I can't help but feel that most of them in similar length and weight classes feel awfully darned close to the same. Little differences, sure, but nothing like the differences I felt between different tapers on boo. You can literally cast 10 different 8' 5 wts, and all of them will feel wildly different than any other, none of them bad, just totally different.

You get to like that I think. You can pick the ones you like and specialize more for your expected fishing situation, or just pick the one that fits your mood of the day best.

Hmm, I think I'm more accurate my boo, but I can't quite pin down why. I think maybe the tip vibrates less? I do know that when you get it moving, there's a lot of momentum, it stays moving and the line goes right where its pointed. Some people don't like the weight, but as long as you have a reel to match, its not that much more work to cast. Its when you put on a light reel meant for graphite, the boo becomes tip heavy, and casting is a chore.

The medium action, compared to faster actions, is more relaxing to cast, and I think lays a line and fly down more softly than our ultra fast action graphites.

The fish fighting does feel better.

And of course there's the nostalgia of it all, appreciation of craftsmenship and all that. Even if my rod is "new bamboo", it makes you feel like you went back in time.

Thanks for replying.

I've got to give it a try someday and who knows what may happen.

I think I could like bamboo, as all my graphite rods are true, traditional medium action rods and most of my fishing is done within 30 feet. The only time I make longer casts is when I simply cannot wade close enough to the fish without filling the waders.

GreenWeenie below is a cut and paste of part of a thing I did for a group a few years ago. To answer your question, I fish with bamboo because I REALLY like casting it. Also, when you do hook a fish, (in my case not that often), you can feel every head shake and more. I don’t know where you’re located but the fly fishing shows are coming up and that’s always a good place to try a few out. Finally a good on line resource is here. http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Try a few out first. The old excuse of there is none around just doesn’t cut it anymore. Flyshops often have at least one or two. There are people on this Board who fish cane and probably live within driving distance. Trust me, they would love nothing more than to show, show off, bend your ear, coach, help and provide as much as they can towards answering your questions. Attend the shows. I know, you want it now. You’ve gone all these years without one, a few more months isn’t going to make that much difference. Try a few out first! Even if it’s not the weight or length you think you may want, it still gives you an idea about the feel of bamboo. Try a few out first! Try a few out first!

After all this, if you still feel like it may be for you, decide what you’re going to do with it. Like graphite, there is no “all things to all people”, rod. Trout, bass, salt? Be aware. Cane is heavier. Nine-foot rods weigh a ton compared to their graphite cousins. Be also aware, the shorter rods, whether older “classics” or those from contemporary makers, can be more expensive than the longer rods. Feeling strong? People also say cane is slower. While this is somewhat true, some surprisingly “fast” rods, especially from the contemporary makers are available. Eight to nine feet is a good place to start for an older vintage rod. I.E it won’t break your bank account. There has been a trend lately with the contemporary makers to offer rods in the seven to seven and a half-foot range. I have a hunch this is where the new demand is going and why not offer something you know you can sell.

Buy from a dealer, especially if this is your first rod. The good ones have been in business for years. They got that way by working with people like you. Call them up tell them what you think you may be interested in. Try to be as specific as you can; action, length, what you plan on doing with it. If this is your first rod, don’t worry about specifying tapers. Tell them what you like to fish. They’ll do the rest. They actually enjoy walking you through this. Good ones give you at least a three-day trial period, no questions asked. Bargains…. you just got one. Someone put you into a rod you’re almost certain to be happy with. Used rods from contemporary makers can often be had cheaper than those brand new. Another plus is there is no waiting period. “Classic” rods can also be had at a good price, especially in the longer lengths. You don’t need a Leonard your first time out. Older production rods, South Bends, Heddons, Grangers, Orvis, can all be had for a price equal too or less than a premium graphite rod. Avoid those with more than an inch off a tip. The action just isn’t the same as originally intended. Contemporary builders can be found at a dealer as they often carry an offering from many of the better or well-known ones. Action? The older production rods tend to be slower with South Bend and Heddon being slow to medium, Orvis medium and Granger a little on the fast side for bamboo. The newer makers tend to be medium to faster. These are general terms though. Montagues, Kingfishers, and rods in a box, AKA, Japan, I tend to stay away from as a rule.
There may be some good ones out there but usually it may be the equivalent of a Wal-Mart graphite. Some work, some don’t. Price? Realistically figure on spending $350.00 to $700.00. Price does not necessarily equal quality.

Fish it! This is your first bamboo. You’re not collecting… yet. Don’t buy something you’ll be afraid to use. One of the nice things about bamboo is if you break it, it can usually be fixed. Nice to have two tips though when this happens. Figure on another reel. Bamboo tends to be heavier and there is a good chance your existing reel may be too light. Figure on new line and backing too. You just bought this older Pflueger Medalist 1495 for $45.00 and chances are, it’s the only one you have. It can be a drag swapping lines from reel to reel. Lines are a crapshoot. Many cane owners like double taper lines. Keep in mind the older rods were built with smaller guides so this may be the reason. Chances are, if you own one or two lines around your favorite weight, you’ll find something that fits.

Dealers. Here are only a very few. To my knowledge, they have been around quite awhile and are worth talking too.

Carmine Lisella 845-639-7630
Clark Davis http://www.geocities.com/fishcane/
Bob Corsetti 603-886-0411
Len Codella http://www.len@codella.com/
Dave Collyer http://home.attbi.com/~splitcane/rodpage.html

There are many, many more. Check out the URL’s above and click on links for additional dealers and information on bamboo. Follow your nose and watch your wallet. Good Luck!

rolf/pcray

Thanks for the input.

The Somerset show is coming up so that may be a good place to start.

I may or may not go to the show. Never been to one and its about a 2 hour trip. Assuming nothing keeps me away that weekend, I'll probably show up on Sat. or Sun.. If anyone wanted to meet up I'd be up for it.

My boo is my first, and it was a gift from my wife. Always sort of oggled them and she knew it, but I would have never jumped in on my own behalf. Now, I suspect I'll buy another somewhere down the line, probably from the same maker.

Anyway, the guy who made my rod will be there. Dreamcatcher fly rods out of Chambersburg. His name is Wyatt Dietrich, and in case you're wondering, I have his "Paradise" model. I only have one rod and never dealt with anyone else. But I have casted others' rods and can say I like his rods about the best of the bunch. Wyatt has been exceptional through the whole process, and even did a repair (my fault) on a ferrule quickly with no questions asked.

If you want to know what a Bamboo rod feels like try fiberglass.

greenweenie,if you live anywhere near philadelphia i'd be glad to let you try a bamboo rod.i do use bamboo rods,but only cheap ones,haha.also the sporting gentleman in media usually has a good amount of cane rods at reasonable prices.

my first choice is bamboo,second fiberglass,then of course that graphite stuff.wouldn't mind trying a wood rod.

shakey wrote:
greenweenie,if you live anywhere near philadelphia i'd be glad to let you try a bamboo rod.i do use bamboo rods,but only cheap ones,haha.also the sporting gentleman in media usually has a good amount of cane rods at reasonable prices.

my first choice is bamboo,second fiberglass,then of course that graphite stuff.wouldn't mind trying a wood rod.

Sorry about that, I forgot to make the same offer. I'm located in lower Bucks County. I have a couple you're more than welcome to try out. Just let me know.

Rolf

Thanks to everyone who offered. Maybe come springtime I'll repost and take you up on your offers.

Actually my first rod was a 6 foot, 5 weight Orvis fiberglass rod that I won at a TU meeting about 35 years ago. (I still have it and use it a couple times a year). This was my one and only rod until about 4 years ago when I bought a 9 foot, 5 weight graphite and have since added an 8 foot 3 and 4 weight graphite.

GreenWeenie,
You buy bamboo rods on faith; the faith of our fathers. That is bamboo is the best material for fly rods. I did. But it took me about a year to adapt and learn the correct casting stoke for the cane. It’s very subtle. Now I can cast as far as any graphite and with the accuracy to make a proper presentation of the fly. And I like to think that accuracy for that presentation is far better then any plastic rod. Don't get me wrong, I am not a snob and I more often fish graphite (carbon fiber is the more correct term, graphite is in fact a great dry lubricant, as my Dad taught me.). However, it has to be the right bamboo rod. In 1978 I was fortunate purchase a new Palakona 8' 2 pcs 6 wgt made by the old masters at Hardy. Because of it's accuracy, this rod is perfect for the Little Lehigh where presentation is everything and where I primarily fish it. No, this bamboo 6 wgt is not to heavy for the LL. Yes, a 6 wgt, plastic rod is; it doesn't protect the tippet. This 2 pcs bamboo is a beautiful light rod. If such a thing could exist, this is a fast action bamboo rod. But still as a 6 wgt, the single fly for the most trout this rod has taken has been on a #24 trico spinner. Again, due to it’s accuracy & presentation. I don’t have to think at all about the cast; it’s just there.

From my father-in-law I inherited 3 bamboo rods, 2 pre WW2 Grangers, one’s a 3 wgt & the other a 4 wgt and a post War South Bend 6/7 wgt. Those old guys were tough; even though I’m a big guy I can’t cast the South Bend for more then half a day. And they used heavy automatic fly reels to add even more weight.

As to why bamboo has this mythical property of casting ability and the often referred to “feel” so revered by us devotees, the only explanation I have is this: All manmade materials are a transverse woven fabric. They must have a cross weave to support them longitudinally, or else they would collapse along their length. And when the carbon fabric is wrapped on the mandrel to be baked into a rod, the longitudinal carbon strands are in a matrix crisscrossing each other at various angles. Therefore, all glass or graphite rods have a built in oscillation caused by their base material and the manner of their construction. No matter how carefully they are constructed or how carefully you cast, the rod tip will oscillate in a figure 8. Whereas bamboo has all its strength in it’s cells. Both on the interior of each cell and in the bound to each other, they don’t need any transverse support to keep them from collapsing along the rod’s length. If a well made bamboo rod was mounted onto a metronome and set in motion, in time, it will settle into and the rod tip will scribe a path in exactly the same plane. Just like a pendulum on a grandfather clock, as I learned in my high school physics. Then the rod can cast the line in exactly the same plane and thus be on target. Only the caster can input an outside force causing the rod tip to oscillate and deviate from that plane and thus imparting that oscillation onto the line so that it travels in side to side loops and misses the caster’s intended target. But now in the reeeal world how many fly fishers can move the rod in the same plane with no oscillation thus keeping the tip and line travelling in the same plane? I don’t know. There must be some that can consistently. And some of time, I believe all of us are able to do this. So theoretically, due to it’s cellular structure only bamboo is capable of allowing you to become the best caster you can be. But the only way to find out is to get your own bamboo rod and experience the “feel” for yourself. Then you too, can keep the faith.

Larry, thanks for the detailed reply. What you said makes perfect sense.

i also like how larry touches on the idea that a 6 weight bamboo rod is not too heavy for most PA fishing situations.every body gets it in their head nowdays you need a 3 weight or lower,but that's a plastic rod mentality.a five/six weight fight on bamboo is better than a 3/4 weight fight on graphite.

don't get me wrong,i'd love a 7 1/2 to 8 foot four weight,but right now a five and six are light enough.no real need to go under a four weight with cane ,except maybe extreme brookie or minnow fishing.

GW
I second what most of the others have said. Bamboo just has a "feel" that is different and most but not all like it. I find when I fish bamboo which i do almost all of the time I find it a bit more relaxing. I belive I am more accurate probly not just because of the rod but because I slow down a little and take my time. But again as most have said you really need to cast as many rods as you can. I am not sure were you are located but I am in Mech. PA and fish the Breeches often. If you are in the area send me a note and I can meet you sometime..or take Rolf up on his offer... He has some very nice rods and is knowledgeable...and once in awhile he even catches a fish or two...
Bill

Back