Bamboo rod value

wbranch

wbranch

I have a Walt Carpenter 7' 6" #5 2 piece cane rod I would like to sell but have no idea what it is worth. Anyone here know of any local expert who I could show it to to get a fair market value?

Attachments

• Walt Carpenter4 (450x253).jpg
    Walt Carpenter4 (450x253).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 11
If you have the Original Bag and Tube and depending on the condition and Serial Number you are looking around 4000.00. Depending on the market right now you maybe sitting on it for awhile. You also didn't have it listed as a 2/2 that will reduce the price as well. v/r Joe E

Walt's rods are right there with, Garrison, Payne, Leonard, price wise!
Impregnated or varnished would be the next question. 7 1/2 ft. 2 piece? Bag, tube, xtra tip all comes into play. Is it original or re worked back to a 7 1/2 footer.

A Good quality,very fine condition, lets say the browntone series $1800.00 up. Finding the right buyer is the real question? I sold all mine by myself to the Japan Market, which paid better at the time!

However, by yourself sometimes has the good old risk factor. You must make absolute sure all is original!

Now, without hesitation, I would contact, Len Codella Sporting Collectibles. Very qualified, honest and reliable! Set up the deal and go from there! You can do the sale by yourself but the risk of a high priced rod like Carpenter's is chancey.

Let's figure it this way. Ebay, most popular. Would you push 1800.00 out the door to joe blow or $1800.00 to an expert, knowing it is authentic and the exact grade you seek!

Be aware, sometimes those jewels are polished coal!

And sometimes those jewels turn out to be diamonds!

Len Codella, seek the wise one!

Maxima12

The 4000.00 mark would be unbelievable to me.

I have an Orvis Battenkill 7'6'' 6 wt. bamboo fly rod that I had restored by Art Weiler who lives in Kunckletown, PA. In fact, I started a thread on this board about that fly rod.

I am sure you could search "My new old fly rod" and read what other board members had to say about Art Weiler and his expertise.

I wanted to restore the fly rod and fish with it as a way of thanking my grandfather and cherishing his memory at his R&G club in the Poconos. I had no interest in selling it.

Once upon a time we(father, brother, and myself had the original extra tip, bag, and tube. My brother accidently stepped on the original tip when we were young boys. I have no idea what ever happened to the bag and tube.

Since you originally posted about an expert local opinion on the fly rod, I can't say enough good things about Art Weiler. He really knows a lot about bamboo fly rods.

Yo wbra

Although Walt's sticks are esteemed, the cane market has softened considerably in the last several years. This is strange, since premium plastic tubulars are approaching 4 figures. With 2 tips and the usual accouterments, Walt gets about 4K for new rods. But I would guess the estate (used) market might garner only half of that right now. Bob Selb of the Classic Flyfisherman is the best dealer (for both sellers and buyers) that I have come across in the world. He is knowledgeable AND trustworthy and would be worth the visit if you wanted an appraisal.

I was going to suggest Bob as well, in Lansdale, PA

maxima12 wrote:
Walt's rods are right there with, Garrison, Payne, Leonard, price wise!
Impregnated or varnished would be the next question. 7 1/2 ft. 2 piece? Bag, tube, xtra tip all comes into play. Is it original or re worked back to a 7 1/2 footer.

A Good quality,very fine condition, lets say the browntone series $1800.00 up. Finding the right buyer is the real question? I sold all mine by myself to the Japan Market, which paid better at the time!

However, by yourself sometimes has the good old risk factor. You must make absolute sure all is original!

Now, without hesitation, I would contact, Len Codella Sporting Collectibles. Very qualified, honest and reliable! Set up the deal and go from there! You can do the sale by yourself but the risk of a high priced rod like Carpenter's is chancey.

Let's figure it this way. Ebay, most popular. Would you push 1800.00 out the door to joe blow or $1800.00 to an expert, knowing it is authentic and the exact grade you seek!

Be aware, sometimes those jewels are polished coal!

And sometimes those jewels turn out to be diamonds!

Len Codella, seek the wise one!

Maxima12

^Nice post....good info, Maxie

I like reading your posts much better when they are written in English and not in Pig Latin>>>> eepkay onay uckingtray :p

Matt,

Lestrout gave you great advice about Bob Selb. With such a valuable rod, or more like potentially valuable rod, possibly worth a lot money, I would go through an expert to make sure you sell it for it's true value.

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/

Another vote for Bob Selb, (Classic Flyfisherman), is fair and honest. He also takes consignments. For additional opinions, you can always look here.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Good Luck!

Thanks to all commenters. There is more to the story though - I broke both tips one on a big trout in Montana and the other yanking on it while the fly was stuck in a tree. I Miracle wrap repaired both tips and have fished both tips one day to see if the repair was sound. I'm sure the broken tips reduce the sale price but who knows? I sold a Leonard Baby Catskill 7' 2/2 for a #4 with two Miracle wrapped broken tips for $1200 twenty years ago. I had it refinished by ?? (can't remember his name) who had a shop in Central Valley, NY very near where the Leonard shop was where I bought the rod from Hap Mills and Ted Simroe. I was going to list it for $500. But I guess some research is worth the time.

Attachments

• Walt Carpenter3 cork compression (450x253).jpg
    Walt Carpenter3 cork compression (450x253).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Walt Carpenter6 (450x253).jpg
    Walt Carpenter6 (450x253).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Walt Carpenter5 (450x253).jpg
    Walt Carpenter5 (450x253).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Walt Carpenter1 (450x253).jpg
    Walt Carpenter1 (450x253).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4
Yo wbra

Walt is still active. He might be able to splice the tips, or even build new ones. Pix of the repaired tips might be useful.

Wbranch, sorry, to the collector, no value! To someone else a project headed for ebay! To be sold under false pretence!

The coal covered up pretty!

And that is not an uncommon Bamboo story!

Thought there was more to story from 1st post The look, the
lack of evidence! 4000.00 no, 1800.00 no Maybe 200.00, all depends now on reel seat! Cork handle!

Some would by this and turn to a 6 footer, sadly enough, would not pay 200.00
This example is typical. As fishermen, we cherrish the thought of owning Bamboo! The first or last rod in the long road! With that, my belief. Walton Powell seems to come to play! Still many in closets not used for a long time!

Maxima12

and add a j w young reel, now the works are in progressSilk line! Excuse me, while i wipe the sweat from my forehead

Check out Classicflyrodforum.com

Totally dedicated to bamboo rods. A wealth of information there.

Let's ask the perfect question as it is before us. 7 1/2 Walt Carpenter rod, 2 piece, broken tip, repaired, no idea of tube, sock, was it a nine chopped down, reel seat and cork visibly worn. extra tip? Is one available! Brownstone, yes, no, who knows. Impregnated or lacquered? Who knows? Is the 2nd piece Carpenter? Are the male, female ferrules true to life a Carpenter, the guides?

All these questions come to play in a big way! If you are a believer, give Wbranch $500.00.

As with any high quality bamboo rod. The major rod makers might not be the highest quality. They may be the highest quantity!

If you have the money for quality of the highest, always, always the extra tip. Why fall short, in the end you will realize the big mistake! Always, always, the best reel seat, the finest cork, the finest guides, no imperfections in the Tonkin. Be prepared for storage. The finest are stored in cool storage just like a fine fur. The rod will last your lifetime and another!

By doing so, increases in value will be noticeable! Improper storage and handling is like buying a car!

Maxima12

Imo now, send the rod back to Walt if he is willing to make the repairs . I would show it the respect and love that it needs unless you really need the few hundred that it is worth. If you don't want to fish it (always find room for a classic) you'll get the few hundred back from the repairs in a few years.

Maxima12 et al,

The rod is, and always was, 7' 6" for a #5 with 2 tips. I have the original aluminum tube but not the cloth sack. The cork, reel seat and all guides are original. I have no desire to have new tips built. Forty years ago I had a dozen cane rods. While I know many of you wax poetic about them I have no use for cane. I fish big water and fish for big fish. Cane is slow. I like crisp, fast, rods so I can lay down a 40 footer with just one false cast. The picture clearly shows Walt Carpenter's name printed in black ink near the handle of the rod.

While the rod is by no means pristine it fishes and is fine for smaller waters and smaller trout.

BTW, I don't "really need" whatever it is worth. I am trying yo divest myself of many of my rods, reels, and watercraft I have accumulated over a lifetime of fly fishing.

Thought there was more to story from 1st post The look, the lack of evidence! 4000.00 no, 1800.00 no Maybe 200.00, all depends now on reel seat! Cork handle!

Hmm, lack of evidence? The name is clearly printed on the cane. I'm pretty sure if I sent a picture to the maker he would vouch for it's authenticity.

Wbranch, In no way am I trying to be rude! A new Carpenter rod pushes upwards to $5000.00. With that said. You can be sitting on a piece of history. Under these circumstances it is very important to be sure it is authentic. We are not talking about Goodwin Grainger here.

It would be to your advantage to get this rod checked by a professional. I would think it would give you an idea, of where to start.

Thank you Maxima12. I'll be contacting the links posters have provided for me. I wish now I hadn't been yanking on the rod and had taken the time to go back to the tree and remove the fly. At least I would still have one good tip and a more valued rod.

Back