Bamboo rod evaluation

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

I'd like to tap into the considerable knowledge of this community.

I recently took position of a bamboo rod that was in the attic of my grandfather's house. He passed away around 1977. My aunt, who now lives there, generously gave the rod and rod sock to me a few weeks ago. The sock is cotton and pretty moth eaten. The rod is pristine, aside from a scant amount of superficial mold on the cork. Two tips are included.

The butt of the rod has hand written length and line weight, but no other markings. Based on this and that my grandfather fly fished since at least the 1940s and was fairly well off, I assume it was custom made. Nothing I saw on the rod suggests when or by whom.

Can anyone recommend someone I can take this rod to who can evaluate it's origin? I do not want to send it anywhere so the expert would have to be within a few hours of Scranton.

I know this is a long shot. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would get a free postimage account. Upload good, close photos of the grip, reel seat, winding check and signature wrap area to include the writing, and very importantly the ferrules. Get an account on the classic flyrod forum and post under Appraisals and Identification.

I don't know anyone to suggest taking it to, but folks on that site may be able to help with that as well.

Good luck.

I agree with DGC, classic flyrod forum has a lot of knowledgeable bamboo experts

Where did your grandfather live most of his life? What creeks did he primarily fish?

I have my grandfather's Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod. Orvis told me that it was made in 1964.

I sent it to Art Weiler(sp.) in Kunckletown, PA to have it evaluated and reconditioned. He really knows fly rods and did a great job.

I posted about it on this message board. "My new old fly rod."

Check it out. I know you can do a Google search and find his website.

Thanks for the replies. The forum and Art Weiler suggestions seem good.

Millsertime: He lived from the early 60s to his last days in Drums. I know he fished the Loyalsock and Lehigh (White Haven) and most of the more well known Poconos streams, among others. I have vague memories of my dad and me visiting his sister-in-law, then quite elderly, at her home in Lehigh Tannery near the bridge over the Lehigh. These are the details I remember.

Yo Fly - Coming down the Northeast Extension to Lansdale is probably not much over an hour for you? Bob Selb, of the Classic Fly Fisherman, is the very best and most trustworthy vintage tackle dealer in the world. I have met and bought from most of them, even before there was an internet. Just be prepared, though, since once you have exposed yourself to all the goodies and toys in Bob's shop, you might need to rent a truck to bring some home.

Hey Les - Thanks for the testimonial. I'll check him out. I was just down that way this weekend looking for big, alien bugs. ;) I know that run down the TP well.

Fear not! I am completely immune to the temptations of buying really cool gear....not really. I'm already thinking of what reel to pair with it. I don't intend to fish it if it's authentic. Besides, it's an heirloom. I was thinking of how to display it properly. I think it need a reel. I have no doubt he will have a good recommendation.

CHERRISH IT, FROM LONG GONE, WRAPS CAN TELL, REAL SEAT, YES TOO. A BIGGIE, AS BIG AS WANT IT TO BE. WITHOUT THE MARK, YES A MILLION TO YOU AND A REWORK TO ANOTHER.

BAMBOO.MUST BE KEPT, CLIMATE CONTROLLED, CLOSET BRITTLE, BENT TIP, 3 4 IS 1 2.

BLEW MINE AWAY TO JAPAN. THE LOOT IS THERE, PEANUTS FROM THIS TOWN.

MAXIMA12

Would love to see pics and know the outcome of your research since you feel it could easily be a higher end rod.

Definitely Classic fly rod forum. That would be your easiest/fastest route.

Since he was a Pocono fly fisher, I would contact Don Baylor, Brodhead TU, and/or Forevergreen Heritage center.

https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers

Try the reel seat search to get yourself out of the woods faster. Good Luck!

Any luck with the eval?

Back