Bamboo ID

V

Van_Cleaver

I just got a 3 piece bamboo rod from a friend who was cleaning out his attic. It was his grandfathers and appears to be in pretty good shape other than missing one guide which I can replace. Curious if anyone knows who made it. It is signed and I can't make it out but the initials are HDH. Looks like the name ends in ared. Thanks in advance for any help.

If I recall HDH was a South Bend line recommendation.

Yo Van

I'll help out. Pix can help but I'm not far.

HDH is an old silk fly line wt that would be 6 wt. in today's line wt.

ANY OF THESE LOOK FAMILIAR?

https://antiquerodandreels.com/antiquerodandreelsold/mfg_s/southbend.html

Thanks for the help. Looking at the pics it could be a South Bend. BTW it is 8'. Looks very similar to the 7.5' rod in the above pics Tom provided.

If the grip has an indentation to put you thumb in at the top of the grip then is almost for sure a South Bend. BTW is was called the Comficient Grip.

Are you sure "ared" isn't "or D"? Or maybe "or e."? If the line size part says "HDH or D", that means it they recommend a size D double taper or level, if "HDH or E." it means a size D double taper or size E level line. D is approximately about the same as a 6, E is about the same as a five. You might want to try a 5 in any case; not only is approximation actually the light side of 6 weight, but tastes in have changed.

"HDH or E" would not serve to identify the rod in any way; it was by far the most common weight for trout rods. You need to look at the reel seat, winding check and ferrules. Try posting photos here, or better in Classic Fly Rod Forum Appraisels & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods.

It was signed and numbered but not legible. No indent on the handle. I doubt it is valuable but will wrap a new guide to replace the missing one and try it startiong with a 5 wt. Thx!

+1 on redietz suggestion. Must have photos of handle, reel seat and stamped or written info just above grip. An 8 footer that has HDH or D would be very unusual for South Bend, but 8.5 ft. would be common.

You might also try a FB bamboo group if you you don't feel like joining another forum.

Back