Bamboo Beginner

Bruno

Bruno

So I have a budding addiction. I have picked up 3 bamboo rods in the past year. All of them were cheap south bend rods. Nothing over 80 bucks. 2 of them are bass rods and the other is a small steam 6fter that I believe is made from an original 9ft rod. They are all fun to play around with. I really want to get a dry fly rod but I am a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. I would like to keep the price reasonable. So can anyone recommend a good starting point for getting into a bamboo dry fly rod ?

Attachments

• boosteel.jpg
    boosteel.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 16
hey bruno, hopefully joeE will chime in, he should have some recommendations.
there are some dealers you could check if you want a vintage rod, len codella is one I've heard good reports from.
http://www.codella.com/
I'm sure there are many others.
if you want a new one, joe may be willing to build you up one.

hook and hackle has bamboo kits for under $300.

skiltonian wrote:
hook and hackle has bamboo kits for under $300.

Funny enough I went to check the mail and their catalog was in the mail. Never got one before and I am impressed. There is a ton of info in the catalog - Fly guide spacing charts, how to guides it is done really well and it is black and white. Kinda like the J peterman of fly fishing .

and they are right in pittsburgh! I wish they had a retail store.

last blank I ordered, he threw in a free hat. nice surprise.

bikerfish wrote:
and they are right in pittsburgh! I wish they had a retail store.

I wonder if they would allow you to stop in if you contacted them ahead of time. It would be cool to be able to see components in real life before buying....

Kev

I called them about that, they said it's fine to pick up an order, but they don't want people fumbling around thier stockroom. I guess everything is bagged and tagged and in bins, stuff isn't set out like in a retail setting.
I agree, it would be nice to actually handle the stuff before you buy it. maybe if we all send them a note about that, they will consider a small retail outlet?

Bruno welcome to The Dark Side. I’m not sure where you’re located but the Somerset Show is always an excellent place to start. Lot’s of makers and dealers there who are willing to answer all your questions. If you go, don’t plan on buying. Go there just to try some rods and get some information. If you let us know where you are located, there are usually some makers or dealers within driving distance.

You’re looking for a dry fly rod. What length, weight and price range? Typically they can run from $300.00 up. Just my preference but I wouldn’t limit myself to just a dry fly action. After casting a few, I think you’ll find quite a few nice ones that are good for just about everything. I have two I would consider dry fly only and kind of regret the limitations they have. Specifically distance. I’m a lousy caster and need all the help I can get.

You can also check out this thread. It has a list of dealers.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/12640/t/On-Line-Classic-Tackle-dealers.html

To me the best advice I can give you is try as many rods as you can before you buy. I’m north of Philadelphia so if you’re in the area, give me a shout and you’re more than welcome to try what few rods I have. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Rolf

bikerfish wrote:
I called them about that, they said it's fine to pick up an order, but they don't want people fumbling around thier stockroom. I guess everything is bagged and tagged and in bins, stuff isn't set out like in a retail setting.
I agree, it would be nice to actually handle the stuff before you buy it. maybe if we all send them a note about that, they will consider a small retail outlet?

Fishusa in Erie is setup like that. They have a small retail area in the front of their building. They have their basic tackle items on display. Hooks, line, rods, reels, some fly tying stuff, etc., but if you can't find something they carry, they will go and get it out of their stock. You can see them picking and packing orders behind the retail display area. Check-out is a bit time consuming though, they enter your purchase like it was an order. Nice setup if you live in the Erie area.

Kev

P.s. I still think their on-line fisherie.com forum is a joke. LOL.

I'd have to say give ebay a shot..If you know what your are looking for it's a little bit easier, you just have to wait for it to pop. General search under bamboo fly rods, or vintage fly rod might produce decent results.

When you say dry fly rod how slow can you go? The best vintage rods under 500.00 are the Heddons IMO. You may find a project rod worthy of restoration; put a little soul into the endeavor. It all comes down to personal taste. Find your rod on ebay, or at auction, and bid on it..

I'd say be very cautious of e-bay and cane. if you don't have a clue, chances are you going to get something you don't want to fish.
cast some rods and determine their tapers, then you can get that taper in a blank on e-bay. theres some cheaper over-seas blanks on the bay that are priced right, but anyone whose into bamboo will tell you they are junk.
bamboo is tough anyway you look at it, unless money is not an issue...

Dear Bruno,

I'd recommend you look for a South Bend 290. It's a 7 1/2 foot 5 weight and you should be able to find one in very good to excellent condition with 2 tips for about $ 300.00.

Staying with South Bends you can also look for a 323, 346, or 359 in the 8 1/2 foot length. They are more common in the 9 foot length but I think you will like the 8 1/2 'er's better. You can find one of these in the $ 125.00 to $ 250.00 range depending on condition.

Lot's of people turn their noses up at South Bend's but they made some nice rods and they won't break the bank.

Staying around the $ 300.00 mark allows you to look at some other makers too. You can find Granger Victory's in the 9' foot length for that kind of dough. The 9050 is the lighter version and it throws both a 5 or a 6 weight line quite nicely. It will be substantially heavier than a 9 foot 5 weight graphite rod but it's not like you need to be Conan the Barbarian to use it.

If you want to look at Heddon's you can find 8 1/2 foot versions of many of their rods for around $ 300.00. Try to stick with models that have #2 ferrules as they were trout rods. Heddon also has 1 3/4 ferrules on their lighter trout rods but they are more money, and 2 1/2 ferrules on their bassier rods. Heddon model designations should always include the ferrule at the end of the model #. EX. Heddon Model 17 8 1/2foot 2F.

Every rod I mentioned here I own and you are welcome to try them out should you get out this way. Just holler and I'll bring some along and meet up with you.

Don't be afraid of Ebay either. I'm not telling you it's your best source but there are plenty of nice rods still out there. You just need to approach buying with a price and quality goal in mind and you'll generally do pretty well.

If you want to take some of the risk out of things then by all means visit Clark's Board that Rolf told you about because Rolf is a good friend and he'd never steer anyone the wrong way. They also sell plenty of rods there and the sellers are all good honest people who aren't out to scam anyone. It's also worth visiting just for the wealth of knowledge that the board members possess and you can learn a great deal just by reading.

Good luck dude!

Happy New Year!

Tim Murphy :)

Clarks classifieds is the best way to go. You can do fine on ebay but it's more of a crap shoot. I bought a SB 290 that looked mint but when i got it the tips were short a bit and all sections had sets in them and the reel seat was cracked. Then i bought one that looked like it needed some serious TLC, when i received it, it was straight as an arrow and full length. Just needed new varnish.

With Clarks you have better piece of mind. Most sellers give you 3 days inspection period, if you don't like it - send it back. Also, don't be afraid to post a "Wanted to Buy" post. You'll get lots of responses.

I have fished bamboo for the last 30 years or so and have used many Heddons, South bend rods,even a few montegues and no name rods.All of them needed some work unless bought refinished. Recently I purchased a Hexagraph which has a bamboo feel (maby a little faster).Check out their website,(www.hexagraph.com) they have a rod called the natural and if you email them they also have demonstraters and blems at real good prices .I picked up a 4 wt 8ft rod for $350 and i like it and switch between that rod and my 7.5 ft 5 wt no name bamboo rod depending on the stream I fish.Beware bamboo is addictive I now have 8 rods and am always looking for more. My wife always dreads antique malls and flea markets cause she knows if I see one thats half decent its mine,dont always use them but gotta have them.

a south bend 323 showed up in the mail today. just got done snow casting. 2 tips. The wrap job is a little sub par but I think I can correct that pretty easily. 90 bucks on ebay. It does chunk line well.

Bruno wrote:
a south bend 323 showed up in the mail today. just got done snow casting. 2 tips. The wrap job is a little sub par but I think I can correct that pretty easily. 90 bucks on ebay. It does chunk line well.

That sir is a very nice rod. I fished one years ago and wish I still had it. Try it with the 444DT. I'd also spring for a 1495 Medalist. You can drop shot inside the center spool to balance the rod.

Good Luck with it!

Cortland also makes a line of lines called 444 Sylk, which is supposed to emulate real silk line better than other stuff, especially by being thinner.

gfen wrote:
Cortland also makes a line of lines called 444 Sylk, which is supposed to emulate real silk line better than other stuff, especially by being thinner.

Dear Bruno,

Gfen made a good suggestion about the Sylk line. I have a couple that I use on bamboo and glass rods and I like them a great deal.

You may want to look around for a Pflueger 1494 1/2 reel for that new 323. Thats what I have on my 8 1/2 foot South Bend 359 and I think it balances pretty well without any additional weight.

Happy fishn' dude,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks to all for the good advice. Here is one for you TIm !

Back