Balloon strike indicator

S

Sylvaneous

Does anyone use a 'party balloon' for a strike indicator over-hand knotted around their leader?
My friend is a ffing guide out west and just carries a bag of these little balloons. He gives them a 'puff' to get them to open up and have some air and then knots them on.
I haven't tried it yet, but might.

Those new airlocks are a biodegradable foam ball. Easily moved without damage to the leader. Lighter than the old plastic ones and can support 20-25% more weight. They are pretty damn handy. Recommend giving them a try.

Floating a bugger 3' under one will get you hooked up on smallies too

Hey Andy,

What size do you like in those air locks? Was thinking of getting a pack of 1/2's and a pack of 3/4's. 1 inch seems big

1/2" for smaller water and 3/4" for big water

I have never tried balloons before but went to a presentation by George Daniel and that is one of techniques he recommended at the time. I would guess that was about 4 years ago.

I would feel bad about potentially losing rubber into the water. I hate littering worse than nearly anything. I know, it happens, but far too many people just throw everything out their windows constantly.

When it comes to "bobbers" corqs are my favorite I've ever used.

The only time I've every used a balloon for a "strike indicator" was years ago when we were doing off-shore shark fishing.
'

Balloons are latex, they will degrade over time if it keeps anyone up at night worrying about it....

...just like the rubber that forms the loop in Corqs.

I lost a split shot once and was so upset I thought about giving up fishing... ;-)

Back