Backpacking trip

G

Ghill21

So I’ve got a few questions… to start off my friend and I want to take an impromptu backpacking trip next weekend before we head off to college. We both want to get on some brookies but we have never backpacked and just bought some gear. Any recommendations or advice about where we should go, some backpacking dos or donts or any sort of fishing reports? Anything is appreciated thank you!

Backpacking in PA or another state? And what do you consider "backpacking"? Like camping overnight miles away from your vehicle and civilization or just long hike/fishing throughout the day but not overnight?

So I’ve got a few questions… to start off my friend and I want to take an impromptu backpacking trip next weekend before we head off to college. We both want to get on some brookies but we have never backpacked and just bought some gear. Any recommendations or advice about where we should go, some backpacking dos or donts or any sort of fishing reports? Anything is appreciated thank you!
Tough time of year to go after Brookies, low and warm water.

But you may find a spring fed creek, bring a stream thermometer

With no backpacking experience, I’d recommend keeping your intended trip short on distance.

Maybe hike in a couple of miles to a campsite and use it as a base camp to fish from.

There’s a ton of do’s & don’t’s when camping in the backcountry.

Google some backpacking sites for advice. Also google Leave No Trace..

Good luck
🍻

The stream levels in central and NC PA are very low right now. Take a look at the "Real Time Data From the USGS Site" map on this page.

If we get substantial rains, that will greatly change the situation. Under current flow conditions, I wouldn't even take fishing gear along your hike.

But go hiking anyway! If you are interested in stream habitat, walking along streams when the flow is super low is very revealing.

We were planning on trying to hike in and set up a base camp for two nights and do some fishing. Didn’t plan on hiking super far in because of lack of experience and want to go somewhere “easy” so we wouldn’t have a bad first time experience backpacking. I’ll have to keep an eye on the weather for some rain then and if we don’t get any we will probably find somewhere to hike and fish for warm water fish.

Does anybody know if any of the streams in Allegheny National forest would be fishable next weekend?

Unless we substantial rain to start the week, flows are still very low in the small streams in ncpa. The storms the past few days brought a short spike of water, but we need days of soaking rain to change the situation.

May I suggest camping at the rustic sites along pine creek at black walnut bottom or Tomb flats. Excellent smallmouth fishing nearby, you could ride a bike up and down or hike the rail trail to explore new water?

I'm an avid backpacker with lots of experience. I'm not just going to ramble about topics regarding backpacking as you didn't narrow a field of discussion down very much. I don't know where you're located, but for a cool backpacking trail with lots of trout water opportunity the Front Trail (AFT) is the first thing that pops in my mind. It's one of my favorites.

I'm an avid backpacker with lots of experience. I'm not just going to ramble about topics regarding backpacking as you didn't narrow a field of discussion down very much. I don't know where you're located, but for a cool backpacking trail with lots of trout water opportunity the Front Trail (AFT) is the first thing that pops in my mind. It's one of my favorites.
Looks like a pretty solid trail. I will look into it a little more when I get home. Thank you

Sounds fun.

Looks like SWPA has most water. I would start looking there.

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail comes to mind, but there are other trails in the region.

Look for trails first.

As a number of folks have noted, water levels are low in many places across the state, which usually also translates into warmer waters, especially with the heat we've been having. There are certainly some places that will still be fine to fish for brookies, but maybe plan to primarily backpack instead of fish. That's what I'm planning to do this coming weekend.

For backpacking, I think it's hard to provide specific do's and don'ts without knowing your specific skill level in the outdoors. But generally, think awful hard about anything you want to take along. Since you're carrying it all, is it worth the weight to carry vs. your anticipated use of the item? I've lightened up on certain items I carry but counteract that weight savings sometimes with luxury items, like a chair or a saw or an extra few beverages, all of which will be going with me this weekend. Make sure you let someone know where you are going. Stay hydrated. I've added a salt packet to my packed items in the past few years and add it to a water bottle at the end of the day. Consuming that has massively reduced any cramps or muscle soreness I used to encounter after fishing/hiking for a full day. Pay attention to the weather - if chance of heavy thunderstorms, think twice of camping on a small floodplain. Figure out how to hang your food safely. Bears probably won't be an issue (they're more scared of you than you of them) and there is plenty of food for them to eat this time of year. But mice, raccoons and other small critters like that are why I get my food off the ground.

I'd direct your trip toward western VA or WV at this point as they're the only ones with any appreciable stream flows in their blueliners. Maybe something in the Dolly Sods would fit the bill?

Back