Backing

Baron

Baron

Recently I received a couple reels that were wound with old line. I noticed that they were using 20+/- lb mono for backing. Does this seem appropriate? Doing so would certainly allow me to actually have some backing on these smallish reels providing a little insurance.

Let me give you an example. The reel seen in the photo was purchased recently and had 100ft of mono and was filled with what appeared to be 2-3wt line. After emptying it and giving it a thorough cleaning I loaded on a 5-6 wt line. I Still have some room for backing, maybe 25'. If I use 20lb mono I could probably get 50 or 75' on. This is my bluegill rig for now. so perhaps I don't need backing.

Attachments

• IMG_7324.jpeg
    IMG_7324.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
20lb dacron line is used most often as backing (30lb for big game fishing)

It it's thin, limp so it doesn't curl up like mono, doesn't degrade easily so it lasts a long time, as well knots hold well with dacron.

Suggest you buy a bulk spool and use it for all your reels.

The conventional wisdom is that one shouldn't use monofilament for FF reel backing. This is based on the idea that, if wound unto the reel while stretched, it could contract and damage the reel. Instead you should use only braided line

I've always been skeptical of this and routinely use heavy 20lb mono for backing all the time. The backing on my trout reels rarely sees the light of day anyway, so it's mainly just there to fill the spool.

Since the line on your reel is old, it should be replaced. Get a big spool of cheapo #20or #30 mono from Wallyworld and you'll be fine.

I have actually seen some examples of reels damaged by using mono as backing or other stretchy fishing lines.

Wide arbor spools are particularly susceptible as well as non-machined or stamped metal reels.

If you get away with it, fine. You've been lucky. Just wind it loose!

I've been using nothing but 20 or 30lb Micron (a brand of Dacron) since Theodore Gordon gave me my first spool.

No to mono for the reason mentioned. I think you can still get 12 lb. dacron for backing on a small capacity reel. 20 or 30 lb. gel-spun backing is much thinner than equivalent dacron, but costs a bit more.

Well, tough one. Three of the reels I purchased recently had mono as backing. Its shot. So no matter what I need a purchase will be necessary. So I guess I'll look for a pack of 20bl Dacron and also 12 for the little reels.
I really appreciate your opinions as they are always helpful and seasoned.

Just buy 20lb...you'll get way more than you'll ever need on any small 2 -3 wt reel, especially if you using it for panfish or trout.

To be honest, you'll probably never see any of again once you wind it on unless you are fishing for barracuda.

Well I guess I agree, having seen the cost of it, for how little it contributes. If I were alway stringing 3/4wt reels it would be okay to have 12bl or both 12 and 20. But I'll be using the rest up on other 6wt reels and bigger.
Some of these little guys fight like Barracuda:

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
You’re making me hungry for a mess of those panfish Baron!

With 99% of freshwater fishing, backing is nothing more than a spool filler. 50 yards is probably more than enough for any fish except maybe carp or steelhead.

So I also use a lot of 30lb if I have a reel that has a decent capacity as it is a waste putting on 200 yards of 20lb when the backing is doing nothing but filling the spool.

coyoterahn wrote:
You’re making me hungry for a mess of those panfish Baron!
Coy ,You and me both. But they're kind of gross feeling when they're 85 degrees and full of milfoil.

Bam, I get your argument as well as the others. Since it is unlikely that I'll ever get into the backing on the 1492 so who cares what it is. With the 94 and 95 1/2 its a cheap shoot. Maybe a Carp but who knows.
It's only filler I guess.

Back