backing

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm now purchasing a 9/10wt for salmon and am curious about others thoughts on backing. I've never seen mine, except when it was wound on when I bought it.

First off, what pound test do I get for salmon?

Second, is the gel spun that much better? I know it takes up less room on the reel, so you can put more on. Do you really recommend it since there's a good chance of seeing it with some salmon?

Thanks.

I have fished for salmon for 4-5 years and seen my backing a bunch of times. I get the cheapest 20-25lb stuff I can find. You will see your backing, but you won't be really cranking down on fish at that range. The fly line stretches (and gets caught in the current) so much that backing strength isn't all that big of a deal.

Spending good money on backing for anything but offshore or tarpon fishing is silly IMO.

Unless I come across a good deal I usually buy the 30lb backing simply because it takes up more room on the spool and costs me less. It's nice to have some on, but if a fish starts spooling you well into your backing just break it off because at that point its probably a lost cause

It's just as important, if not more important, to have a solid knot that will slide through the guides (both directions) without hanging up.

20 pound dacron is OK. Just make sure the weak link in your system is up by the tippet. Tie a good Albright knot to join your fly line to backing and don't' go higher than about 12-15 pound test on your tippet.

Ryan,
Not an upstate NY guy and I suppose you can dismiss my view as another salt junkie but if you're getting a 9/10WT you might consider that this rod may see some duty in the salt in the future.

All my rods 8WT and larger are spooled with 30# dacron allowing the use of 20# tippet, and I've used the smaller briads on a couple in order to get 200 yards of backing. For 7WT and smaller I use 20lb and don't worry much about how much backing there is as these rods see almost entirely freshwater duty. Truth be told, even in the salt, an honest run of 100 yards is extremely rare but there are fish that can do it (hook a big jack in FL while you're wading). Whatever the case, it depends on spool size and budget but I'd say if you can get 150-200 yards of 30# this is the standard for salt fishing and will allow the reels to do double duty in the salt with 20# tippet.

Assuming you are going to fish in NY, IMO a 9-10wt is too much, espeically this late in the year. I use a 10' 7wt for salmon and steelhead and the only time I feel undergunned is early in the season with a king right out of the lake, and to be honest it would be hard to handle a fish like that on any rod. If all you plan on using this rod for is salmon don't spend the money. Go with a 10' 8wt. If you have a 10' 7wt, use that and save your money. You really don't need to go stronger than 12lb test even in the salmon river. If you plan on fishing further west (mi, or west coast), maybe a 9 or 10 wt will be worth it, I really don't know.

If I do plan on going up it will probably early in the run. I have a 9' 8 wt that I would use otherwise. I plan on making a trip to Alaska in the next few years also, so it will get it's use up there too. I do appreciate the advise though. I'm going to spend under $150 for the whole outfit, so can't beat it.

Anyone use this brand of backing? Would you go with Dacron or Gel Spun?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_25198_175003001_175000000_175003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Magibraid-Gel-Spun-Fly-Line-Backing/product/71953/-1202556

Go with dacron unless you don't have enough space on your reel for the flyline and an adequate length of backing. In that situation you can use the gelspun to compensate for the problem and get an adequate amount of backing in a small volume.

How much is adequate for a 9/10? I'd want at least 150 yards.

I got an Alpha Reel from Allen... You think I could fit enough of the dacron on there?

I have an Alpha 9/10 on my 9wt. There is plenty of room for dacron even 30 lb. if you like) if you plan to use a 9 wt. line. Get a 250 yard spool and you should have plenty or get a 500 yard spool and you may never have to buy backing again.

Ryan, in case you are anxious to give the new setup a workout, I used my 9 wt. at the steelhead jam last year and it fished just fine (same reason, a new setup and I was anxious to try it). I was afraid it would feel like a telephone pole, but it was actually a very pleasant experience. I prefer my 7 weight for steel in Erie, but the 9 is fine too.

Seems an appropriate place to ask...
"Dacron backing" vs "dacron braided fishing line."
Backing comes in 200yds of 30# for $0.06/ft ($12) or 1200yds for $0.027/ft, total of $33.

FWIW, Orvis'll sell me a 400yd bulk roll of Orvis branded for $28. Even with the Orvis tax, figure that you aren't touching that generic dacron line price per foot.

What reason is there to not buy the dacron line and have backing for years?

(edited to correct math, as per jdiddy's post below)

Transposition on the $.60 / ft I think you mean $.06 ft.

IDK, the dacron braided fishing line lasts forever, has a favorable diameter, etc. I can't think of a reason unless the braid wrecks your guides. I know I had that problem with early adaptation of braided fishing lines on baitcasting gear. That backing would hit those steel guides so rarely on a fly rod I don't see a problem.

I have a spool of 20lb sitting around... the reason I probably won't buy a bulk spool of 30lb is... what in the world will I do with it all?? I'll never use it on any other weight rod.

jdaddy wrote:
IDK, the dacron braided fishing line lasts forever, has a favorable diameter, etc. I can't think of a reason unless the braid wrecks your guides. I know I had that problem with early adaptation of braided fishing lines on baitcasting gear.

You mean braid as in braided mono/spiderwire stuff, or actual dacron line?

I was under the impression dacron line has been around since the dawn of modern fishing, considering I remember buying it at a local tackle store in the very early 80s to fly a kite with.

I know there were problems with braided mono slicing through bails, guides, and fingers but wasn't aware of dacron line.

You are correct. I just thought maybe the braiding results caused abrasion. Again, I can't see any reason not to use it.

Just looked at the Allen website and it lists 240/30 for capacity. Why not send Justin a note and confirm with him to be certain?

Just to follow up on my own thread... I put on 250yds of 30# dacron and it fit just fine on my new Alpha. Might toss it around at the JAM just for the fun of it.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Ryan

Seems an appropriate place to ask... "Dacron backing" vs "dacron braided fishing line." Backing comes in 200yds of 30# for $0.06/ft ($12) or 1200yds for $0.027/ft, total of $33. FWIW, Orvis'll sell me a 400yd bulk roll of Orvis branded for $28. Even with the Orvis tax, figure that you aren't touching that generic dacron line price per foot. What reason is there to not buy the dacron line and have backing for years? (edited to correct math, as per jdiddy's post below)

I was in Cabelas today it comparing the 2008 Cabela's Prestige Braided Dacron® Line - 1,200 yds @ $30 seemed very comparable to Cabelas Dacron Fly Line Backing 600 yds @ $30.

In another forum, I read someone suggested ice fishing braid as it won't wick up water and cause rust on the old reels (it was a classic reels forum, but the wicking of water still holds true).

Back