Backing to Fly Line

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys,

I'm going to be rigging up my 9wt reel for salmon fishing this fall, my question is, how many wraps is enough for nail knots for the backing to fly line connection? I was thinking 6-8 for salmon? Typically when I tie leader to fly line I go 5-6 wraps. Lastly, I've read about people adding a dab of glue to the knots, with Zap a gap or something comparable, would this affect the performance of the knot at all? I was going to atleast glue the tag end of the backing because backing likes to fray.

Thanks
Tom

tjsingle wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm going to be rigging up my 9wt reel for salmon fishing this fall, my question is, how many wraps is enough for nail knots for the backing to fly line connection? I was thinking 6-8 for salmon? Typically when I tie leader to fly line I go 5-6 wraps. Lastly, I've read about people adding a dab of glue to the knots, with Zap a gap or something comparable, would this affect the performance of the knot at all? I was going to atleast glue the tag end of the backing because backing likes to fray.

Thanks
Tom

An Albright Knot works great to join your backing to fly line.

If your fly line has a loop on the end (or you can form a loop and bind using three nail knots), tie a Bimini Twist loop with your backing, thread that loop through your fly line loop and over the spool of fly line for a loop-to-loop connection. LTL connections are very strong and handy for making knotless fly line changes.

HTH.

Good luck fishing.

I've never tied an Albright knot. Are they stronger than nail knots?

tjsingle wrote:

The albright knot is very strong. I use it all the time in the shop where I work and have tied a thousand of them without a "hitch" :lol:

Here is a link with a guide to rigging a fly outfit:

https://www.scientificanglers.com/fly-fishing-knot-tying-basics/

afishinado wrote:
tjsingle wrote:

The albright knot is very strong. I use it all the time in the shop where I work and have tied a thousand of them without a "hitch" :lol:

I took your advice. I tied an Albright knot, and sealed it up with zap a gap ca. It seems more durable then the nail knot I planned on using. It really bites into the fly line well.

tjsingle wrote:
afishinado wrote:
tjsingle wrote:

I took your advice. I tied an Albright knot, and sealed it up with zap a gap ca. It seems more durable then the nail knot I planned on using. It really bites into the fly line well.

Those nasty salmon can really pull....you should be good-to-go.

Good luck.

Back