Backing on a reel

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I've never had a fish or my line out to the extent that my backing started coming off the reel. I understand that backing helps give the line some extra diameter on the reel, thus making reeling easier. I get that, but I'd like to hear some examples of times that you were glad you had backing.

I don't have an answer but I've often wondered how often experienced fly fishers go into their backing.

I've had Ontario browns get down into the backing a few times and a fresh salmon will give you a run or two into the backing. I'd guess that steelies would do the same given the chance. I'm
waiting to put a hook in one.
Most of the time yor can chase them just be careful and watch your step. GG

Sooner or later a very large and strong fish will show you the extra benefit of backing.
I've also had technical drifts on larger water where I actually drifted through my backing and was the only way I took fish those afternoons.

Not once, ever.

Steelhead are powerful enough when the water temps are right, but in the streams, they just don't got the room to do it. They can go up or down, but you just follow them.

And that's true of most PA trout streams. Doesn't matter how big and powerful a fish is if there's simply not enough room to take you to your backing. In the big lakes, Lehigh, D, Allegheny, etc., I could see it but I don't normally fish those places. But even streams the size of say, Penns, I don't think it's possible unless it's really high and limits your ability to wade.

with Pat-
I used shooting heads with a running line mostly so had a lot of line out at take [streamer fishing] but properly played very little line when out after that.

pete41 wrote:
with Pat-
I used shooting heads with a running line mostly so had a lot of line out at take [streamer fishing] but properly played very little line "went" out after that.

I assume that this is what you meant,Pete.
Am I to assume that if a fish gets into one backing then it was poorly played? I that case I disagree. A HOT fish will run fast enough and with enough speed and strength as to turn a reel into a knuckle buster.This maybe up or down stream true enough due to the size of the creek. I watched a fellow get spooled in the "dog hole" 2 years back by a hot steelie headed back to Lake Erie with a rocket in his tail fin. Chase it, not as fast as that fish ran. I've had the same thing happen in The Oak where it's pretty easy to follow a fish. GG

I was fishing out in Montana in June, when the runoff was still happening. The Madison River was still high, but on some advice from the Blue Ribbon fly shop, I fished it anyway.

The River WAS high!....but the fish were stacked up in the margins along the bank as advertised. Best of all, I didn't see another angler all day! I tossed a bugger in, and the battle was on.

I was tied on with 3x (I could kick myself for not having heavier tippet with me), but I couldn't hold some of the bigger fish from getting into the main current. When they did, they got all the way into my backing and kept going. The River was unwadeable so I couldn't follow the fish downstream in many spots. Rather than getting spooled and loosing my fly line, I clamped down on the backing and broke off the fish. This happened a bunch of times. Great memory of that day.

Almost lost my whole line to a fresh salmon last fall.... that's the only time I ever saw my backing, was on that trip.

You will need it eventually, so tie a good knot (lesson learned). The main reason for it is to take up space on your reel to make your retrieve of line quicker. If not, then your fly line would be a lot more expensive because it would have to be about double the length to fill a reel.

Yep, it's mostly just filler for me too.

I was fishing for Sunnies in a lake one time and somehow (unitentionally) hooked a good sized carp on my 4wt. The carp made a crazy initial run in the complete opposite direction from me. That fish got pretty close to backing but then I decided to try and slow him down and put some muscle to him. That problem solved itself pretty quick when the 4x tippet went.

Start carp fishing and you will be able to have some stories of going into your backing. I have looked down countless times only to see backing. a 15+ pound carp will run you into your backing.

A big reason why you wont see it alot in PA is the lack of big water. If you fish a biver or lake and hook into somehting big youd be suprised how fast they can strip your line off.

I could see a 20"+ trout on the yough getting you into your backing. Those rainbows can really take it to you on that river.

I have landed 10lb fresh steelhead, big carp etc. on a 5wt and have never seen my backing. They have come dangerously close, but never got the nail knot off the reel.

If fishing for trout, in probably 99% of all trout streams if you let a trout come anywhere near taking you into your backing you screwed up big time and are totally screwed. Only in really big water is that something you might have to worry about.

I’ve had a the occassional really good sized trout in the main Delaware almost take me into my backing mostly because I already had 60 feet of line on the water and when hooked they managed to get into a strong current and head downstream but if using the appropriate strength tippet and you know how to play the fish and make him go where you want him to go, I can’t see how going into your backing should be a real concern.

Most instances of people getting taken into their backing are because they don’t know how to play and land a fish and they let him run all over for no reason at all.

I agree - seeing one's backing while trout fishing in PA is a very rare event. I'd guess the upper Delaware would be the only place where this happens with any frequency.

In over 30 years of FFing in PA, I've only had one trout take me into backing and that was a 21" brown in Yellow Breeches in 1985.

ryguyfi wrote:
You will need it eventually, so tie a good knot (lesson learned).

The first steelhead I hooked on the Salmon River took me into the backing in a hurry. I learned the hard way that the knot holding my fly line to my backing was not well tied. My fly line did appear after a bit and someone on the other side of the river retrieved it, tied it to a rock and tossed it across. Reattached it to my backing and yes, the steelhead was still hooked. He got off a short while later... I think I had another fish take me into the backing on that trip.

I hooked two bonefish on a trip to the Bahamas last summer. Took each of them about 2 seconds to take me well into my backing. I actually thought the second one was going to spool me before he finally turned around. Needless to say, bonefish are nothing like freshwater fish in PA however I could see a big carp getting someone into their backing if the body of water was large enough for them to run.

If you ever fish the wild rainbows on the main stem delaware those fish take you into your backing pretty much per fish.

If you're intentionally carp fishing you should have like 2x tippet on, and be able to put some serious pressure on. But yeah, if you're fishing big water for other stuff and happen to hook a carp, I can certainly see it.

Big river trout and current, like Afish's story, yep, they'll get you there, though you have little hope of recovering in heavy current like that.

Ocean, oh heck yes. I was on a charter once, not fly line but regular line, and we hooked a blue marlin which spooled us. We're talking big equipment and line which must be like 100 lb test. And we hooked him just off the teaser just feet from the boat. They had another rod ready for just that occasion! Thick line, steel clip on the end. Hook up the first rod and throw it overboard. When you recover enough line back, grab the first rod and fight it on there again. We caught and released the fish, though it was not "my" catch. 6 guys on the boat taking turns on dolphin and tuna. It was unfortunately not my turn when the marlin came up.

Back