Backcountry of the Mind - Fly fishing & Backpacking Colorado

raftman

raftman

Hey folks, here's a short essay I wrote about some fly fishing & backpacking I got to do when I worked at Rocky Mountain National Park in the early 2000's. Hope you enjoy!
Mods - I wasn't exactly sure where to post this; feel free to move to General Forum if you think best.

There are times in our lives when the best thing we can do for ourselves is to fill our backpacks with some food, a sleeping bag, maybe a tent, and take a nice long, solo walk in the woods. I feel this urge quite frequently, but rarely follow through with it anymore, always finding some sort of excuse or distraction to keep me from doing it - work, mowing the grass, dinner plans, stairs needing swept, dogs needing walks, my old knees. In the end, I usually take day trips which, under a microscope with the right lens, feel like a backpacking trip - at least that’s how I try to see it. It’s on these trips into the backcountry where we are able to clear out the build up of muck, much like sediment settling behind a dam, between our ears, in order to create some headspace and hopefully figure a few things out with the fly rod and some open water.

Back in my early 20’s, when it came to catching trout on a fly, I had no idea what I was doing. However, I did know how to hike, how to camp, and how to be alone. So, with a three day weekend and a box of wooly buggers, I hitched up my pack and set off for a backcountry lake. I had been working in Rocky Mountain National Park on their trail crew for a couple of months and at that point I hiked what seemed like hundreds miles of the west side trails with a chainsaw on my shoulder, seeing a ton of the park and rolling my ankles and busting my knees in the process. I was barely a fly fisherman, using a wooly bugger exclusively, but I still walked to the Colorado River every Saturday morning to try and catch something. Eventually, I began to hear mythical stories about a lake full of cutties who would eat anything. This sounded like my kind of place since I still didn’t really know what a dragless drift was or how to match a hatch. Plus, the muck had been building up for quite some time, even though I lived and worked in the woods. I needed to get out of my shared living space and into the wilderness. I needed to pound the ground for something other the work - to explore and get lost.

SCAN0008-1-01_zpsbwsweswr.jpeg

The lake sits in a little basin at 10,700 feet between two peaks on the west side of the park. The first 7 miles up the trail to the junction of the lake trail meanders through a dense valley along a quintessential mountain creek. Once you reach the junction and get onto the connector trail, you hit switchbacks and quickly gain elevation. At this point, your legs begin to burn and you lower your head, hitch your pack up so it doesn’t sit so low, and, in your mind’s eye, begin fishing.

I reached the lake and the little breath I had left was taken from me. The clarity of the lake stared back at me, reflecting off my eyes and blinding all of my sub-conscious into finally believing that I was alone. I threw down my pack and jostled out my fly rod and tied on a black wooly bugger. I figured I’d set up camp later; the water was calling me.

I found a rock to stand on protruding from the clear alpine water. My feet sank into my sandals as my weight molded them to the rock while I cast into the lake from mid day sun to sunset. Clouds reflected in the water and I swear I could see the pink and red of the cutties in the swirls of the lake. The clear lake, the burning sun of peaks outlining this alpine alcove, my black wooly bugger slinging through the air. Even 10 years later I can feel my feet in my sandals wrapped around that rock, holding my weight as I cast, strip, set the hook, play the fish in, release. Cast, strip, hook, play, release. Over and over again for what now seems like an eternity. Water dripped off my line as I reeled in after my last catch and I laughed out loud to myself; I was finally catching trout on a fly. All it took was ten miles, a few thousand feet in elevation, and a wild lake that still burns in my mind.

The twilight came over the peaks as the sun set behind my mind. With rod in hand, I stood on a lone rock, watching the water settle under the moonlight. I finally felt like a fly fisherman. I flipped on my headlamp and headed back to make camp. I added some hot water to a pouch and had a quick dinner before I nestled into my sleeping bag between the peaks, lulling me to a deep sleep. Before heading home the next morning, I flicked my bugger out a few times and gently released a few more cutties. I don’t really remember walking the 10 miles back out to the car; my mind was still on that lake and those fish.

Every fisherman needs a lake like this at some point; a place where they can chuck what they know, like a black wooly bugger, and catch trout after trout (or even just a few). It’s good for the confidence and on days in the future where they are struggling to catch anything, they can venture into the backcountry of their minds and relive that moment. We need that body of water that lets us catch fish and the backcountry that whispers sweet nothings of confidence to us. We need it to clear our head and lift our lines.

IMG_20160114_172157_zpsax5fuwfw.jpg

Very nice read. I've always wanted to go to RMNP to fish.

Nice read. I guarantee you, you'll be making plans in your 50's to return to that lake!

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the kind words. Man, I don't know if I can wait till I'm in my 50's to return... I might make some plans to try to get back there this summer. ;)

Wow. If that last photo doesn't get me to go west nothing will!!

Wow. If that last photo doesn't get me to go west nothing will!!

Right? I miss it every day. I wasn't much of a photographer back then nor did I take many photos. Luckily, I was rifling through some old print photos when I found it - the only photo I took of the place. It kinda spurred the whole essay. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of the beautiful cutthroats I was landing. I was just excited (and kinda shocked) to be catching fish.

raftman wrote:
Thanks fellas. Appreciate the kind words. Man, I don't know if I can wait till I'm in my 50's to return... I might make some plans to try to get back there this summer. ;)

The reason I say 50's is, if you're anything like me, I got all caught up in my career and raising kids and other non fishing/hiking/camping distractions, that I got to my fifties and started to pine for all the old adventures of my youth and started to make plans to revisit them. It's good if you don't wait so long.

Great story, raftman. Really enjoyed it.

Great story, raftman. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks man. I really appreciate that. Thanks for reading!

Awesome read. Reminded me of my climb up Pikes Peak last fall and swimming in the alpine lakes in the Tetons in Wyoming. My concept of beauty is measured against my memories of those places.

Thanks pmelle!

Great post...you weren't in RMNP with an organization called SCA?

Great post...you weren't in RMNP with an organization called SCA?

Thanks man! At that time, I wasn't. I was part of the NPS Trail Crew. However, I did work with The SCA in Baxter State Park up in Maine and out on the Pacific Crest Trail in California. My experience with them actually helped me get an actual Park Service job.

Did you happen to do any of their crews?

Great read. Thanks for posting. My wife and I FF RMNP last spring and are heading back again this year.

Back