Back brace

PaulG

PaulG

I like to buy one of those back braces, that people get for fishing. They look like a large belt. Has anyone have any experience with them and where I could get one?

Thinking it could give me a chance to last a little longer on the stream.

PaulG

Dear Paul,

I have a Simms "back saver" wading belt that looks kind of like a weight lifting belt only it is a lot lighter! It's about 6 or 8" tall at the part that you snug up around the small of your back. It's made out of some kind of fabric covered hard foam and I like it a lot. Other manufacturers make them too.

http://www.tackledirect.com/simwadbel.html

You can also check a place like WW Grainger. They sell lightweight workbelts that are made for people that work in warehouses picking orders and shuffling boxes around. You might look a little "dorky" in one, but if your back isn't sore and you are catching fish that is a small price to pay.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=back+support+belts&op=search&Ntt=back+support+belts&N=0&sst=subset

I just want to add that I'm not plugging either place or saying these are the best prices. They were the first two google hits that I got that had pictures of the belts I was talking about. :)

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I gotta say Paul,that's a good idea.
I can still remember the harsh pain after hours of double hauling on the big western rivers.The waders pulling down on the shoulders didn't help matters either..It hurt-but I was young and dumb and never thought of wearing a back brace even Though we were required to wear them at work.Duh.

I use the Simms belt. It works great! Makes a long day of nymph fishing more fun and my lower back loves it!

Hi Paul - Back support belts are a necessity for me. I have the Simms belt, and also this one. The Hodgman belt is also carried by Cabela's under their own name.

I like the Hodgman belt much more than the Simms belt, because you "adjust" it every time you put it on. If you don't always wear the same thickness of clothing under your waders, you'll get a better fit with it.

A neat trick I've discovered is to squat down on your haunches to allow the excess air to escape from your waders, then pull the belt tight as you stand up. This keeps you from trapping air in your waders that would make you float feet up in a fall in deeper water.

H.A.

I wear a neoprine one under my clothes and then the wide belt I bought at Cabellas over the waders. Couldn't do with it. They work great for an old back that gets sore. Makes it alot better.

HA

I like the looks of that Hodgman!

Thanks all

PaulG

I just got the llbean helix waders, could have just bought the belt, oh well it is nice though to have on the water, especially when you only carry the "necessities and pack light" lol

when the wading belt that came with me Redingtons broke after three years i bought the simms belt and i like that even more.Kinda hard to get the folstaff on it though.

Back