back at the vice with better hackles.

D

DJBerg

i really like the way this guy came out, though after looking at it in the photo i think one more wrap of herl, and maybe a bit less tail diameter.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

check out this tutorial for tying the royal wulff

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/royal_wullf/01.shtml

pay attention to the materials being used

DJ, two things, don't get so close to the eye of the hook and less is better. Tail is really heavy with material and the fly is a bit too fat. Lot's of hackle is good though.

When I first got my guitar, I made up my own cords and wrote my own songs......I was Jammin'! But I never progressed as a musician until I actually learned the cords and notes and began to play songs. Simple ones at first, but building on what I learned I could play just about anything. Never reached the level of Clapton, but was offered to go on tour with a band (didn't do it....went to college).

When I first got my guitar, I made up my own cords and wrote my own songs......I was Jammin'! But I never progressed as a musician until I actually learned the cords and notes and began to play songs. Simple ones at first, but building on what I learned I could play just about anything. Never reached the level of Clapton, but was offered to go on tour with a band (didn't do it....went to college).

yeah i have the same problem as my mrs when she's cooking, she cant follow a recipe to save he life... me well it's not as much of follow the recipe as well work with what i've got. note the hackle feathers came from a friend in a shoe box along with a bunch of other random what not.

mean while back to the vice, i'ge got two hours, before work, since the youngest decided it was time for everyone to be awake. an hour ago...

i know i should follow directions better but my little abnormalities were winning yesterday! or at least by my trout catching standards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

afishinado wrote:
but was offered to go on tour with a band (didn't do it....went to college).

Just think, you could've opened for the Mercurial Cobalts in Burkina Faso and then told everyone on a fishing board about it 40 years later.

It will catch fish. Sometimes the more 'buggy' a fly looks, take that to mean what you will, the better. Trout don't know what the proper proportions and materials are for a Royal Wulff. If we're going to be technical, the link provided doesn't even spell the name of the fly correctly. :lol:

None of this is meant to disrespect doing it as per the original recipe and 'accepted' visual. The fact of the matter is that if fly tiers didn't change things up a bit now and then flies like the Royal Wulff wouldn't exist.

If it floats and you're happy with it you're good to go. If I was a trout I'd probably go for it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/patterns/34192057

Best way to learn

gfen wrote:
afishinado wrote:
but was offered to go on tour with a band (didn't do it....went to college).

Just think, you could've opened for the Mercurial Cobalts in Burkina Faso and then told everyone on a fishing board about it 40 years later.

Wow Gary, even [color=0000FF]G[/color][color=CC0000]o[/color][color=FFCC00]o[/color][color=000099]g[/color][color=006600]l[/color][color=CC0000]e[/color] doesn't know what you talking about! :-?
Grip something, you're sinking....

afishinado wrote:
Wow Gary, even [color=0000FF]G[/color][color=CC0000]o[/color][color=FFCC00]o[/color][color=000099]g[/color][color=006600]l[/color][color=CC0000]e[/color] doesn't know what you talking about! :-?
Grip something, you're sinking....

Over your head, eh? Well, you're short, it happens.

Back