Awesome outing/Best brown of year

jifigz

jifigz

I met Jeremymcon on one of our favorite wild brown trout waters this morning at 9:00. We had plans to cover a lengthy stretch of water and parked one car at one end and shuttled back to where we started. We fished for about 3 hours and landed 20 trout in total all on the humble woolly bugger. We caught everything from wild browns as small as 6 inches or so up to a very heavy 20 inch or so fish which is my best wild brown in a while and my best ever on a fly rod. The big fish struck hard but was landed quickly and after a very brief time set free. We didn't even get to cover the whole stretch that we had planned on before we decided we better leave to get other stuff done with our day. All in all a great day on the water. The water was perfect and the crisp fall air felt amazing.

On a side note we didn't observe a single redd in this particular stream so the trout there must not be spawning yet. I was concerned with avoiding them and especially not fishing much if they were on their redds but we were in the clear.

Attachments

• Attach29628_20171115_162357.jpg
    Attach29628_20171115_162357.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Attach29626_20171115_162208.jpg
    Attach29626_20171115_162208.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 3
Beautiful fish... well done!

Love this time of the year :)

Nice job, Beautiful fish!!!

Great fish!

Stocked ;-)

Sounds like you had A great day out. awesome catch.

It was by far the best day of fishing I've had all year, and that big brown was spectacular! I know that one I hooked and lost would have been a big one too. It kept me up a little last night, actually. Definitely glad we made it out.

Nice fish! But, uh, you gotta work on your pose. :) Arms out, point fish at cameta, and find a better place to put your rod!

pcray1231 wrote:
Nice fish! But, uh, you gotta work on your pose. :) Arms out, point fish at cameta, and find a better place to put your rod!

Trust me I've been photographed in a lot of fish pictures. I never feel like I get good results. My main concern when I catch a hog of any species is getting that fish safely back to the water. I know I need to work on my holds and pose. But where else would I put the rod midstream? My teeth? Lol

Jeremy, my mistake i forgot to mention that you also briefly hooked into a monster.

Teeth. The leaning over, rod on back pose. Kneel. Anything but THAT!. Lmao.

Im just busting your chops a bit. Great fish.

Nice fish. The picture is fine. Glad you have good sense to value releasing fish unharmed over getting the perfect hero pose.

Congrats! Great fish!

jifigz wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
Stocked ;-)

If it came from a system that got stocked I'd certainly have my doubts.

Was just busting your chops definitely a great fish .

Very nice.

A truly lovely brown trout. Beautiful coloration, congrats!

So a good friend of mine was out last weekend and caught what I believe to be the same fish.

I have a really good idea which body of water it was from and the spots match.

My only concern, and it could be the camera angle, is that the fish has lost some weight in these past 2 weeks. Probably it's last winter...sad.

Could it have just slendered down due to the rigors and stress of the spawn taking its toll on the fish?

I saw a couple more pics of it last night and it was definitely the camera angle.

With more weight supported, it was fuller in the bully.

Back