Ausable

JWsmalls

JWsmalls

Has anyone fished the Ausable lately? I've never been there and am thinking about fishing it this weekend. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is interested in meeting up or is thinking about heading up, let me know.

That's trip for a last-minute one. This may help:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31902.html

I have never fished there.

Haha thanks Jack. That definitely helps!

Check in with the Ausable River Two Fly Shop in Wilmington NY when you get there. Great knowledge. Make sure you get a copy of Fran Betters' map.

Great spot to start is park in the White Face Ski Resort parking lot (just before the bridge over the river) and take the trail in the far right end of the lot (away from the river) and walk the trail as far as you want down river and fish your way back up. Pocket water heaven.

Awesome river.

Smike wrote:
Pocket water heaven.

That is an understatement. Not sure how it would be at this time of year but that had to be some of the most intimidating water I ever fished. Use a wading staff!!

Thanks Smike!

McSneek - the Orvis fishing report says its fishing "Excellent" with low flow.

Isos & BWOs right now and caddis. Stones too. (FYI, the Ausable only gets one brood of Isos per year so they won't be smaller Isos like the second brood is around here at this time of year.) Great time to be on that river. Hungry fish, the leaves changing color and not nearly as many anglers as the spring & summer. The river is 100% wadeable right now, conditions are mostly low & clear this the of year with flows in the 250-300cfs range.

When we go up there to hike the high peaks we normally start at the hungry trout and talk to them about how the river has been fishing and what not. We then work our way up stream driving the pull off to pull off on 86. The bridge at Whiteface like Smike said is a great spot to walk the steam. It is also a FFO part of the stream. There are two FFO sections along 86. Pocket water is amazing there. Take a look at google maps and pick out some good looking water and just work your way up steam. there are tons of pull offs to stop and and get down to the water. Hey at least you don't have to worry about the black fly's in the fall! haha Good luck and let us know how you do!!

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll get in a couple good days of fishing. I'll let you know how it goes!

I ended up driving up early Friday morning. I worked out of a Starbucks for most of the day, but was able to cut out early and throw a few dries on the Ausable before dark. I camped on the Ausable above the Flume at one of the state designated campsites.

Got up early and fished the pocket water on the Ausable. The fishing was okay, a fish here and there. All takes were on size #16-#20 dries (October Caddis, Parachute Adams, Cinnamon & Black Ants). No luck nymphing.

Saturday afternoon I headed 30 min north to fish the Saranac. I hit pocket water along the banks. I had a couple of takes before losing my footing and taking a swim. I just bought a new pair of Simms G3 boots with the Vibram soles and have yet to purchase studs. If any of the guys at TCO Bryn Mawr are reading, I'll be in to pick those studs up this week... I digress.

After swimming in the 55 degree water and missing lunch, I decided to pack it up and head south. All in all it was an awesome trip. Whoever said trout don't live in ugly places was spot on. The scenery up there is unbelievable. You also have two rivers within a half an hour of each other. I definitely recommend making the trip up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2
Sounds like you had fun, I love it up there. For nymphing up there I tend to stick exclusively with prince nymphs, minky's and stoneflies. If I'm running a dry/dropper or tandem nymph rig I ALWAYS use a Prince nymph and usually have tremendous success.

Another tip, when it comes to fishing dries especially big caddis and stimulators, don't be afraid to skitter 'em on the water.

is this mostly a stocked stream or wild fish? I fished a few times in the past and did well, but have not been back in the last five years. I was under the impression it was a stocked a stream.

Sections are stocked (mostly around the White Face Ski resort) but its a primarily a wild brook trout river in the upper section, and wild browns and some rainbows in the lower

Smike wrote:
Sections are stocked (mostly around the White Face Ski resort) but its a primarily a wild brook trout river in the upper section, and wild browns and some rainbows in the lower

Actually I think it's more considered the opposite. With the exception of the upper reaches of the headwaters most of the entire length of the West Branch Ausable is stocked at numerous points from at least the Ski Jumps all the way downstream thru Wilmington down to where it meets the East Branch to form the main stem Ausable River. There are wild brookies in the tributaries and headwaters and some wild browns in the West Branch but many more stocked and holdover browns (and stocked rainbows) than there is wild brown reproduction but you can find some. During most winters prolific anchor ice really limits successful redds. However the stocked trout are plentiful, grow and adapt fast and it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish them after a some time in the river. Especially those that are stocked at 7-8 inches.

It's popularity and regards as a top trout stream in the East mostly stems from its excellent & sometimes prolific hatches of the various mayflies, caddis & stoneflies, the miles of public water, the number of trout stocked and of course the beautiful & picturesque scenery the river carves its way thru.

Back