Attaching leader to fly line using super glue

joebamboo

joebamboo

I was skeptical but this is the smoothest connection yet! Not as easy as it looks, but well worth the frustration.

I did this many moons ago but I just put a mono loop to the line not a whole leader. I remember the section of mono/glue (zap-a-gap actually) inside the line stayed rigid. Didnt seem to bother anything in the function. Just me. It does look very clean though.

I’ve used this connection for several years and for the most part works fine, but I did have it fail once on a rather large trout that made off with the entire leader. Super glue is not waterproof so this might be the cause of failure not sure. Now I snell knot my leader to fly line. Not quite as smooth but never fails.

doesn't it weaken the line where the needle hole is?

Given the non-waterproof qualities of superglue I am still skeptical.

doesn't it weaken the line where the needle hole is?
it really doesn’t weaken the fly line as the needle gets pushed into the core, once the leader is inserted the line actually works like a Chinese finger trap and gets very tight on leaders butt section. I used sand paper on that last bit of leader before it gets pulled into the fly line.

zap-a-gap is completely waterproof.
I believe I read something from the manufacturer who stated it’s very water resistant but will lose some of its holding strength if exposed to water for long periods of time.

I got that right from the manufacturer. Waterproof. Not water resistant.

It appears there are at least 4 different ZAG products. The green label ( the only one I've ever seen before,) is completely waterproof. The red and purple, labeled thin and foam are listed as water resistant.

Super glue does not hold under water. Doctors use water to break super glue down on patients.

A nail knot guy for decades, but last year I had a super glue period. Not always easy for me to get the needle in the center of the core, but it is a smooth connection. Had one leader break free - fortunately on a snag and not a good fish.

Now for the newest thing under the sun. Make a small loop at the end of the fly line - smaller than those meant for loop-loop connections (which I use for some dry fly lines so I can change leaders quickly on the stream). Then tie the leader to the loop with a clinch knot. Easy to do, small and holds well.

I saw an interesting video about those loop to loop connections with Flip Pallot, the first thing he does is cut the loop off and throw it away and then goes on to explain why. believe it’s available on YouTube

Back