Artistic Fly Tying

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Continuing with my project of combining fly tying with fine art....

Painting extremely small is something of a niche fine art field - a very difficult one - and I've been doing this by painting on feathers. Once done, if the piece turns out, I then incorporate the feather into a finished fly. In this case, the painting of the trout is about an inch and a half in length. It is acrylic and rendered without magnification using the smallest brushes and a pin for fine details.

The finished fly is about 2.5" in length and will be dispalyed in a custom, driftwood shadow box frame I have designed.

Attachments

• DSCF0323.JPG
    DSCF0323.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 8
Dave_W wrote:
Continuing with my project of combining fly tying with fine art....

Painting extremely small is something of a niche fine art field - a very difficult one - and I've been doing this by painting on feathers. Once done, if the piece turns out, I then incorporate the feather into a finished fly. In this case, the painting of the trout is about an inch and a half in length. It is acrylic and rendered without magnification using the smallest brushes and a pin for fine details.

The finished fly is about 2.5" in length and will be dispalyed in a custom, driftwood shadow box frame I have designed.

Holy crap Dave. That is really something else. Great job

Beautiful and very impressive!

Green with envy, beautiful!

Beautiful!!

Very impressed.

That is awesome on a whole new level! I can’t even imagine how much effort and time that you must have put in to produce that! Very impressive!

Amazing

Wow, I can't draw stick figures in a sketch pad. How the heck do you paint perfect looking trout on a feather with a pin? Impressive.

I can't imagine the patience it takes to produce something like that. That's a very impressive piece, Dave.

Hugely awesome talent, patience, and steady hands!!
Would have made an exceptional surgeon!

I'm with wveetone else, that's one of the coolest things I've seen.

Cool. Dave, you have to read The Feather Heist about the nut jobs that tie that stuff.

Thanks for the many compliments.

Here's the final piece mounted in the custom driftwood frame I designed and triple matted with spacers.

Attachments

• BN8.JPG
    BN8.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 3
That’s crazy amazing

Back