articulated streamers......

C

cdogedoger

Just read an article in American Anglers about a few of these types of streamers and sculpin type flies. Just wondering if any one use(ed) them. The tyer in the article in from out west. If so, what is your opinion? Just curious. They seemed to look

Thanks

John

oh yeah, i been tying em for years. i usually clip the back hook off. some guys clip the front hook off - honestly haven't experimented too much on which is better. only pattern i keep two hooks is the rattlesnake. instead of mono connections, i've found braided lines in 30lb test (or fly reel backing) works beter

His name was probaly Kelly Galloup, I've been very interested in fishing/tying these myself. Here's a link to his website The Slide Inn

JH

I was looking at his web site during the week. He has alot of interesting patterns. Might buy a few just for the hell of it.

Bringing this thread back from the archives a bit...

I'm curious as the the 'legality' of an articulated fly in PA. Based on the FFO reg, could one really use a two-hook fly? My curiosity became piqued from the Tenkara thread where the reg was posted.

"Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited."

If the barb and bend is cut off one of the hooks, is it still a 'hook'?

wgmiller wrote:
Bringing this thread back from the archives a bit...

I'm curious as the the 'legality' of an articulated fly in PA. Based on the FFO reg, could one really use a two-hook fly? My curiosity became piqued from the Tenkara thread where the reg was posted.

"Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited."

[color=CC0000]If the barb and bend is cut off one of the hooks, is it still a 'hook'?[/color]

A hook has a point to penetrate, and a bend to hold (hook) the fish. I've seen articulated flies tied just using a metal shaft sort of thingie with a eye made for that exact purpose. It's not a hook at all. Also, for example, the marabou from a wooly bugger is tied behind the fly. How is that any different from an articulated fly? I see no problem.

afishinado wrote:
A hook has a point to penetrate, and a bend to hold (hook) the fish.

I think you just insulted my intelligence! :-D

The way I read the reg is that if you tied and articuled fly with two hooks, it would be against the rules. If you used a shaft with an eye, as you say, then it wouldn't be in violation as that wouldn't constitute a hook.

I'm not quite sure what the reference to a wooly bugger's marabou has to do with an articulated fly. Plenty of flies tie the material to trail the hook... I'm referring to the use of two hooks in one fly (if that's how one so chose to tie an articulated fly).

I'm referring to the use of two hooks in one fly (if that's how one so chose to tie an articulated fly).

Two hooks in one fly is most definitely illegal if the regs state one hook only.

For instance, the regs for the Salmon River in NY do not allow more than one hook or more than one fly for that matter. Articulated flies used up there are tied on shanks with stinger hooks in the back half of the fly. It counts as one fly.

On the Delaware, where Paul Weamer says no streamer is too big for those hungry brown trout, articulated streamers with two hooks are OK because the regs do not disallow them.

with components wound on or about the hook

I think this is the language that makes an articulated streamer illegal on a fly fishing only regulated water in PA. The articulated fly has components wound on or about the trialing thingy too, whether this trailing thingy is a hook or not.

That language also disallows tube flies, and extended body flies.

I doubt it would be enforced. I've got no problem using single hooked articulated flies on FFO waters. If I get busted, I'll fight it and set precedent.

jayL wrote:
I doubt it would be enforced. I've got no problem using single hooked articulated flies on FFO waters. If I get busted, I'll fight it and set precedent.

I agree. A single hook articulated body fly is in keeping with the spirit of the law if not the exact letter.

if there is mono between the 2 flies i'll call it a tandem streamer rig , and as jay said maybe set a precedent or maybe get a fine . both flys are still wound on a single hook , they are just fished in tandem , and there is no law that says how long the line has to be between 2 flys in a tandem set up

Tye the "tandem rig" with a Waddington Shank in the place of your front or bank hook. It's a shank not a hook. And it's perfectly legal. It's what i tye my "intruder" style flies on.

waddingtons.jpg

I use articulated flies on the Delaware river. My favorite is the T&A rainbow. I tie them up to about 5" long.

The hard part is finding marabou with a long thin stem so you can palmer them around the hook.

Back