Articulated streamers.

gfen

gfen

I'm tired of them trouts short striking my clouser minnows, and I want a stinger hook in the rear... Best option?

Short front shank, short back. Keep both points?

Long front shank, short back, keep both points?

Short front, short back, clip the front?

Long front, short back, clip the front?

I would've assumed short/short, keep both but I guess that's NOT proper?

Long front (But not as long as it would be if I was going single hooked), short back. Keep both points and remove one if you go to a FFO.

To tie a size 2 articulated fly, I go with a size 4 or 6 hook in front, then make up the difference with the stinger.

I agree with jay, but I am intrigued by the long back hook and the short front hook. probably more realistic movement.

Its funny, I wanted to drop a stinger at the tail end of marabou clousers, so I tied a bunch with two inline hooks, and then promptly used even longer marabou so that I still have more tail than I wanted.

I can't even outwit myself sometimes. Oh well, instead of an inch of flowing, hookless marabou I'm down to only a half. :)

What may have been my best trout in a year or two chased and grabbed the tail of a large bugger this weekend. He never got hook. I'm done with flowing, hookless marabou.

I never used to use enough of it, now I've taught myself to overcompensate I think.

I was bored last week and sat down and did some articualted jobs then, too, where I just put monster hunks of marabou in different shades down the trailer and then the main hook. Its huge, but I actually think it might look really good in water.

Shame its too massive for the trouts to get their mouth around. :)

I tied a few that are probably really similar. I think it's got three hulking clumps of marabou. Size 4 front hook with a stinger an inch or so back.

If the ones you tied are similarly sized, you bet they'll eat them. Don't underestimate the predatory instinct of brown trout. They'll eat something half their size.

gfen, did you ever think of tying a tube fly? you can put different materials on the hook to change the look of the body and the hook is always at the tail end.

To be honest, I don't understand what a tube fly is, and whenever I try to figure it out, I quickly lose interest trying to find a basic FAQ about them.

I do like streamers, though, and should probably pay some attention to tube flies.

It's just a fly tied on a piece of tubing. You slip it on the line, then tie on a bare hook.

It allows you to use short-shanked hooks, and also allows the fly to get out of the way when you're fighting a fish.

gfen wrote:
To be honest, I don't understand what a tube fly is, and whenever I try to figure it out, I quickly lose interest trying to find a basic FAQ about them.

I do like streamers, though, and should probably pay some attention to tube flies.

gfen, here is a link that may help you. Check out the side bar for different types of tube flies. If you want, we can get together and I can show you the different stuff I have.

If you like streamers, you will love tube flies!!

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tube-flies/

I am tying up some streamers for a Bull Trout Trip here in a couple of weeks, I have never seen too much written about this aspect of tying, even though such flies have long been popular, especially for trolling lakes in Maine. I like the bead concept as a way to keep the two hooks separated by a fixed distance, but still able to freely move.

Back