Art and the Outdoors. PA Game Commission Photo Contest.

M

mporter012

The PA Game Commission photography contest, once again, is full of dull, uninteresting photos, both aesthetically and photographically (underexposed, overexposed). Having a photography contest and then apparently calling upon biologists and game wardens to judge the photos renders the entire thing useless. As a serious collector of photography, one aggravation of mine is the low standard that's been set for art in the outdoor community. It's not everywhere, and the fly fishing community tends to have an appreciation for imagery (the hunting community, as far as I can tell, has none). Low and Clear, which is being discussed currently on paflyfish is an example of the opposite, but it's an exception rather than the standard. There is also an east coast/west coast distinction. The west is producing the best outdoor film and photography, by a long shot. Let's raise the bar!

The reason they do not get better photos and the reason that I will never submit my photos is that the rules are ridiculous. They want you to give up all rights to your photo in exchange for a patch and certificate IF you win. If you don't win they still get all rights to your image!

The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission shall have the right to use all submissions for any purpose in the future without compensation. All submissions become the property of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission and will not be returned.

There it is in a nut shell. They want it all for nothing, it would be a simple matter for them to ask "first printing rights" with the photo owner retaining ownership.
A lot of people would enter the contest if that was changed.

Powa

If they don't pay for the right to use the photos, they shouldn't get the right right of exclusive use. I haven't entered either contest and never will if they either a, don't pay for the right, or b, don't drop the exclusive use claus.
As far as I know, no one gets an exclusive use in publishing, unless the person works for that publisher.

Back