Aquatic insects lack there of.

Bobbop89

Bobbop89

I was able to get out and fish today and witnessed what I believed to be little black stone fly hatch on a delayed harvest stream and then I left there and went to a class a stream that has produced well for me in the past. After fishing for a while and being skunked I started flipping rocks and after 10 or so rocks the only insect I found was what I believed to be some sort of scud. In the past this stream has been loaded with midges and various mayfly looking nymphs. Forgive me because I am a newer fly Angler (3 years casually and one year seriously) and this may sound strange but can these insects move from year to year to say a different section of the stream or is the water still to cold for some of the nymphs? Surface temp was 44 degrees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187639528@N06/49703292756/in/dateposted-public/
dateposted-public

Bobbop89 wrote:
I was able to get out and fish today and witnessed what I believed to be little black stone fly hatch on a delayed harvest stream and then I left there and went to a class a stream that has produced well for me in the past. After fishing for a while and being skunked I started flipping rocks and after 10 or so rocks the only insect I found was what I believed to be some sort of scud. In the past this stream has been loaded with midges and various mayfly looking nymphs. Forgive me because I am a newer fly Angler (3 years casually and one year seriously) and this may sound strange but can these insects move from year to year to say a different section of the stream or is the water still to cold for some of the nymphs? Surface temp was 44 degrees.

That's definitely a stonefly in the pic you posted above.

It's not likely the macro population in the stream have changed very much. If there were mayflies before, I'm sure they are still there. Keep searching and fishing. At this time of year the mayflies about to hatch in the next few months should be growing to near maturity. Post of pic of the bugs you find if you can. Good luck.

Back