AquaSeal Substitute

D

Dale49

Anglers,

I try to get as much wear out of a pair of wader as I can. I buy breathables. I use AquaSeal to make repairs and it works.

I'm trying to save some money and I am just wondering if anybody knows of a commercially available substitute (that one can purchase at a hardware store) that someone has tried and found to be as good as AquaSeal. If there isn't a good substitute, so be it

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Dale

goop

Shoe Goo.

I use it to patch waders and to make all sorts of repairs to wading boots as well (not to mention regular shoes). I even use it for some fly tying applications where I want a strong, clear, fast drying, flexible material. It comes in a red tube and is available at WalMart or most drug stores.
Great stuff!

I recently discovered a product that has worked real well for me.
It's called LEXEL. Can be found in the section with bathroom calking products in hardware and home improvement stores . It's not a silicone product,but according to the label is similar in make up to Aquaseal. "Toluene and petroleum distillates".It comes in a 5 fl. oz. tube, clear with a red top .Which goes a long way and is a great deal less expensive than Aquaseal.It's applied in the same way,has excellent adhesion and is a lot more flexible than Shoe goo.

The only disadvantage I've noted so far is it's cure time. "cures firm in 2-4 days. Totally set up in 1-2 weeks" I've found it to be functional and durable in 36 hr.

I plan to experiment with the Product that's recomended to speed up the cure time for Aquaseal, I believe it's called( Coutol)?To see if it speeds up the cure time.

I've done a couple pair of waders with it and had real good results.

Thanks Mojo, Fish and Sandfly. Purchased Goop Outdoor this past weekend and applied to waders. Appears to be very flexible. Haven't tried the waders yet but if there is failure, will consider Shoe Goo and Lexel.

Dale

They say aqua seal or goop, but I've never met a pair of waders that could be acceptably repaired.

Aqua seal is still the best sealant I've ever used - and worth the cost.
I've made repairs to waders with it that have held up for years

Back