Aquaseal Question

O

outsider

I've put Aquaseal on the neoprene booties of waders. Can this be applied to a seam on the upper part of waders?

outsider wrote:
Can this be applied to a seam on the upper part of waders?

Yes. Though if the seam is failing (happens over time via the stretching that occurs from normal use) it’ll buy you time and lessen the leaks temporarily, but it’s time to start looking for their replacement. My experience is that Aquaseal is very good at fixing pinhole leaks or even small tears (with a patch) that aren’t on stretch points/seams, but when the seams start leaking, it’s generally terminal without a professional repair.

I’ll invest a tube of Aqualseal into the seams when this starts to happen and demote them to my backup/Brookie stream pair, throw away my current backup pair, and buy a new flagship pair.

Thanks, the reason I asked is because Aquaseal contains toluene, a solvent.

Is there a secret to keep Aquaseal from hardening and becoming virtually un-usable?

3oh4 wrote:
Is there a secret to keep Aquaseal from hardening and becoming virtually un-usable?

I've never tried it, but I've read if seal up the tube and put it in the freezer it will not harden up.

I use this stuff all the time. But not on seams. It has worked very well for me on pinholes and tears. I’ve had some pretty nice tears too. No patches. Don’t have the patience I guess. Just goop it up good and apply a second coat if needed. Stays pliable in cold weather. Used on neoprene, breatheable gortex, tent flys and rain jackets. Love this stuff.

afishinado wrote:
3oh4 wrote:

I've never tried it, but I've read if seal up the tube and put it in the freezer it will not harden up.

It works like a charm. Keep it wrapped up in a ziploc bag with the air squeezed out and toss it in the freezer. Run tube under warm water and it's back in action. Have a tube a opened a year ago that us still as good as new.

Note: The cap may still be hard to remove after thawing.

>>Note: The cap may still be hard to remove after thawing.>>

One thing I've done with Aquaseal that seems to help some with keeping it viable and reusable is to be sure that when I first open the tube, I make a pretty good size bore hole in the opening, like almost the full diameter of the available opening. Then when you've finished using it, squeeze the tube gently and release it. This (if done right..) can serve to aspirate back down into the tube any excess that is currently in the neck and make the tube easier to open next time. If you then tighten down the cap firmly, the stuff will last longer before hardening. Not nearly as long as freezing it, which is the gold standard, but enough to get by if you're on a trip and no freezer is handy.

Another thing I do for seam leaks, is to put aqua seal on both sides of the spot. This seems to hold up longer than just patching one side

I've been using the same tube of Aquaseal for a year. Never heard of freezing it, thanks for the tip. I run hot water on the cap end, which makes it easier to remove the cap. This is all good information.

Back