aquarium net

O

outsider

For the first 20 years or so that I fly fished, I carried an aquarium net in my vest or pocket. an excellent way to capture flies in air or in the stream surface. Takes the guess work out of "what was that tiny bug " (or larger fly). Just bought one the other day, plan to use again.

I took one brookie fishing a couple times because they are light weight. Removed too much slime from the fish so I stopped taking it.

Good idea about snagging flies.

outsider wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
lol. Good one....

Please explain?

Gotta love a good brookie joke.

He used an aquarium net to land brookies.........

Too bad not a joke.

I use the big one as a light weight alternative to a standard net for hiking reasons. I also didn't want the fish flopping around on the rocks so I thought it would be a quicker way to land/release smaller brookies.

But after two fish I noticed the slime thing.

I suspected it wasn't a joke, hence my response to the lol post.

For a non joke it's getting funnier.

You can find these things at Lowes or Home Depot. They are intended to strain paint, but can nicely slide over a net. I have used them to just dip down into the water to see what sorts of critters are in there that the trout are munching on and it works pretty well. Folds up easily and back into the pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Elastic-Opening-Strainer-Pieces/dp/B00C2A9L0Q

You can also buy 1 gallon can size paint strainers. They fit right over your hand and work very well. They are small, handy and fold easily to go back into your vest.

This is brilliant.

There's so much you miss without having some sort of net for the surface film. No matter how much you squint. Even with sun on the water.

Back