Approve New Class A & Wild Trout Waters

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Link to map and comments to the PFBC about the approval of newly surveyed Class A & Wild trout streams. Please fill out and submit your comments > HERE

It appears that the definition for Class A rainbow has part of it missing?

Yes, that is a question.

Thanks afish. It would be great to have those sections on the East Fork and Brooks as Class A. Comments posted.

Approve! No waters near me this go around but nice to see they keep finding more.

Done. Thanks for the link.

I'm seeing an awful lot of Facebook posts angry and fighting to change the the East Fork Class A decision. Seems a lot are upset that I guess the sportsmen club in that area won't be allowed to stock it anymore. How do we educate these anglers or get them to see how beneficial the wild/native trout are in this stream and how the stream can sustain itself without the help of hatcheries and stockings?

The two East Fork sections noted as being proposed for Class A are fairly high up in the watershed and only total about 5 miles. Headwaters to mouth this is less than 50% of the stream mileage of the EF, and the whole bottom end (5 miles or so) is not being listed as Class A.

My guess is it will still have sections that are stocked, and the club will have the opportunity to supplement the PFBC stockings, just not in the two Class A sections.

Even stocked fish have fins and can swim (for the most part). It's certain that some of the stocked fish will end up in Class A sections, intentional or not. Probably not ideal from the wild Trout fanatic's perspective. Still, if they stop stocking the Class A sections, that's a better compromise than before.

So, not many streams on the class A list. And I didn't read everything. But, as came up during the JAM at my place, I wonder why some streams are listed, defined, and then never granted status. I'm guessing political and monetary influence so they aren't as "protected," but still........I mentioned one stream that made class A status years ago and still hasn't been added. Swattie, you've been there. And I've heard it takes multiple years of surveryijg and always meeting the demands, but still......I don't get it..

jifigz wrote:
Swattie, you've been there. And I've heard it takes multiple years of surveryijg and always meeting the demands, but still......I don't get it..

Yeah, there's a few head-scratchers in your neck of the woods. The one you're talking about certainly fished like a Class A the time I was there.

Supposedly, if the Class A sections go through for the EF, the lowest 5 miles (Williams Run to mouth in Wharton) will still be stocked. Above Williams Run, will not.

Tioga Publishing Article

Jifigz,
By saying "listed, defined, and never granted status," my suspicion is that you are speaking about the "streams being considered" lists for class A or wild trout designations. If I am correct, then the explanation is that some streams appear on the list that require an updated survey. If the survey does not reveal that the stream supports a Class A equivalent biomass, for example, then the stream is removed from the streams being considered list with no further action. For example, when two surveys were required to remove a stream section from the stocking program due to the presence of a Class A equivalent biomass (which A former colleague and I still think should be the case), the result of the first survey would have been enough to place that stream section on the streams being considered list.

salvelinus wrote:
Thanks afish. It would be great to have those sections on the East Fork and Brooks as Class A. Comments posted.

I'm also excited about the potential for the wild trout populations if Brooks Run and the upper sections of East Fork Sinnemahoning Creek come off the stocking list.

I sent in my support, and encourage others to do the same.

Thanks Afish for the heads up.

Dwight, I could never figure these two out. Brooks, Class A above the forest road and ATW below. Like something magical happens above the road?

East Fork, Class A to Doliver Trail, then ATW to Wild Boy, then Class A to Camp Run, then ATW to mouth. If you've got Class A above and below, why stock the middle? This is like Big Moores was until PFBC finally stopped stocking altogether.

Then again, these two are basically along the road so no wonder they were stocked. Gotta provide those angling opportunities.

salvelinus wrote:
Dwight, I could never figure these two out. Brooks, Class A above the forest road and ATW below. Like something magical happens above the road?

East Fork, Class A to Doliver Trail, then ATW to Wild Boy, then Class A to Camp Run, then ATW to mouth. If you've got Class A above and below, why stock the middle? This is like Big Moores was until PFBC finally stopped stocking altogether.

Then again, these two are basically along the road so no wonder they were stocked. Gotta provide those angling opportunities.

The campground area is not happy. Oh well. I remember over 20 years ago where the Est fork leaves the road catching 6" - 10" brookies on every cast in beaver ponds maybe 20 minutes from the road!

salvelinus wrote:

East Fork, Class A to Doliver Trail, then ATW to Wild Boy, then Class A to Camp Run, then ATW to mouth. If you've got Class A above and below, why stock the middle?

I understand.

But now the PFBC is proposing doing something to greatly improve the situation.

So, will the wild trout people actually SUPPORT it, by sending in their commentary to the PFBC?

I'm glad to see that several people have already, and hope that many more will also.

In the PFBC tool linked at the beginning, you can simply register your support for adding the Class A streams. But you can also add written comments. I added comments specifically about supporting ending stocking on Brooks Run, and the 2 sections of East Fork Sinn.

Submitted!!

Regarding Post #15, the sectioning of these streams sounds cosistent with the sectioning strategies that were developed in 1976 and implemented with Operation Future in 1982. This isn't new. There are are a number of Class A sections that are adjacent to stocked trout sections statewide.

Back