Anyone want to meet up on Spring Creek or Big Fishing Creek on 10/7/22

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I don't care if it's colder than a witch's mammary gland, I'm coming up!

Anyone want to meet up around 10:00 AM or so?

I don't bite and I'll let you be you and have your space. I just need to need out of Harrisburg!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Just got back from Spring. It’s fishing well.

Just got back from Spring. It’s fishing well.
Dear salmo,

I'm glad to hear you did well because I was totally disappointed with my trip.

I started at Fisherman's Paradise. I saw many fish and had a few refusals on crickets and ants but walking the creek throughout the project I was amazed that the stream is basically just 6 inches of frog water with moss covered rocks for its entire length.

I went further downstream and didn't even bother to put on waders. It's just more featureless frog water with moss covered rocks. I looked at places that historically had thigh deep runs, that were 20 to 30 yards long, and I'm 6'5" tall. They now could be crossed in Gore-Tex hunting boots without topping them. Lots of piled up debris that isn't doing anything to alter the stream. Knowing the stream for 40 plus years it's obvious to me that it has drastically changed and not for the better. Looking at the water marks on rocks and roots and bridge abutments its clear the development of the area has played a major role.

I'm too old to relearn the stream.

YMMV

Regards,

Tim -

I usually only fish the upper part of spring creek during the higher flows of spring and early summer.
In summer time and fall, when flows are at their lowest, below Bellefonte is usually the best bet.
The CFS is twice the volume in those lower reaches

Tim -

I usually only fish the upper part of spring creek during the higher flows of spring and early summer.
In summer time and fall, when flows are at their lowest, below Bellefonte is usually the best bet.
The CFS is twice the volume in those lower reaches
Dear dryflyguy,

I get what you are saying but as someone who learned Spring Creek in the late 1970's and early 1980's from Lemont on down what has happened to the creek is depressing.

When I started fishing Flyfisherman's Paradise there was an island splitting the stream just above the iron walking bridge to the hatchery. Back then, an inch of rain in one day didn't even affect the stream flow or color.

I guess my opinion may be clouded by sentiment but seeing what is going on and what has been done makes me feel sad.

I remember coming down from upstate NY in the early 1990's to stay in our Aunt and Uncles basement with my brother and our fishing buddies and fish Spring Creek. It was fantastic back then.

It's hard to compare those memories to the present day. Like I said above, I'm old. That might be the biggest issue.

Regards,

I totally agree Tim. I fished Spring in May of this year at Benner on a Wednesday and lucky to get a spot as twas very busy. After a 40min walk to find a slot it was very skinney water but off color, caught about 6 10'' fish, lost a one bigger 14'' fish. Happy enough but doubt I'll fish there again.
John

Back