Anyone using a float tube?

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

I fish streams most of the time, but I do some warm water fly fishing now and then for panfish or whatever will bite. I don't think I would be very comfortable in a canoe or kayak, but I have been thinking about getting a float tube for fishing close to shore on some of the local lakes like Nockamixon. Does anyone here have experience with float tubes on lakes? Is this a reasonable idea, or should I just consider a small boat? Are the bass boat guys gonna pelt me with empty Bud cans? Any advice on choosing a good float tube?
Thanks,
Mike.

They use float tubes out west in and around Yellowstone park-very popular.I also knew a fellow that used one to cross the missouri-why I don't know,guess the old grass is greener bit.

Dear frequent tyer,

I have two float tubes and have owned others. I've used them in CO and UT and MN as well as PA and NY and had a great time everywhere. The isn't a lot to know about them. The main thing is stick with something U-shaped or pontoon style. They are just safer because they are easier to get in and out of.

After that, your physical size will point you in the right direction. Some float tubes are just better for big guys. I have a Waterskeeter Daytripper and a Caddis Navigator 4. I am 6' 5" and over 300 pounds and they both float me just fine.

If you are a good bit closer to average sized both of these boats might be a bit much for you. You will sit much higher and be subject to the wind which can be a real pain to deal with.

You will need fins and life jacket and then you can just hop in. I have adjustable Force fins that work great but cost a pile of money. You can buy Caddis fins for $ 30.00 and they will move you around just fine. The life jacket is a matter of choice, some people use vest styled life jackets, I just use a plain old life jacket.

A float tube is a great way to fish a lake and they can be used to cross a slow pool on a river. They ARE NOT made to use in moving water so stick to stillwater and you'll enjoy yourself.

If you have any questions ask here or send me a PM and I'll do what I can to answer them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I got a great deal on the Scadden Assault and like it. Haven't had it on still water yet, but I do intend to get a pair of flippers and get out some. It's sort of an enclosed hull raft that handles well on whitewater and still water alike. Weighs under 25lbs and sets up in 2 or 3 minutes. It's frameless so its compact as well...

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I think I will definitely by be trying this soon.
Mike.

If you don't think you will be comfortable in a kayak, you probably never tried a sit-on-top kayak. I own one. I can change sitting positions, stand up in it, even sit sideways with both feet dangling in the water (very nice in the heat of summer). And it has a seat to rest your back on. It is a very stable fishing platform, and at 9'-10" long, is very transportable. It is easy to get in and out of, and when you're in, you stay pretty dry.

I'm selling it for health reasons. Excellent condition, pm me of you are interested.

I was thinking of buying one years ago...but them damn water snakes{gettin the heebie geebies thinking about em} sneakin up on you might change your mind.
I would up buying a Creek Comapny ODC 916 its rated for calss 4 whitewater which is the Lehigh through some rapids at certain release levels,also floats the Delaware just fine including Foul Rift or Barryville sections too,but for still water it keeps me out of the water a bit ..damn snakes still like to screw with you.
I have a buddy that has a Hobie sit on top with that cool propulsion system and uses it from saltwater tourneyments along New England to Lakes and rivers too. he loves it, I'd like to add one to my armada the price is a lil high but once you try one you might not want a standard paddle kayak.
Float tube is cool though,and yes out west they are a stillwater fishers favorite mode of transportation. good luck.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

FrequentTyer, if you didn't receive my pm reply, pm me again. When I tried to return your pm, I had a problem, and I don't know if it was sent.

Got the PM outsider. Thanks.
Rick, I had a run in with a water snake wet wading Nockamixon a couple of years ago. Thanks for reminding me (shiver :-o )
I've got a lot of research to do. Thanks for all the tips guys!
Mike.

I am considering a float tube for nock as well! I want to do some bass fishing in the summer months this will be my first time bass fishing with a fly rod so im excited. I was thinking about a kayak but transporting and storage would be a problem. I haven't had many encounters with water snakes but they are non-venoumous so im not too concerned about that. Well, maybe a little, i know this may sound crazy and be a stupid question but are you scared of getting bitten or of the snake damaging the tube while your in the middle of the water? Hey freq if you do get one post a review. Thanks and good luck.

Get a pontoon, that way you can fish nock, and smaller lakes along with floating rivers. You can row use fins and get an elec. setup.

Dear yotrout,

The snakes won't bother you. I'm more scared of snapping turtles but even they won't bother you. They'll hiss at you and get pretty close but they aren't going to eat you or anything like that.

The bottom line is, unless you are tubing without waders on and you get some kind of infection the truth is that there is nothing in the water that can harm you.

A float tube really is the simplest, easiest, and least expensive way to get into the water with the fishes. It has one huge advantage over any other self propelled watercraft, and that is your hands are always free to fish.

You don't have that option any other way. Every other method of self propelled water craft requires you to use your hands some, most, or all of the time to remain both, in motion and in control.

Regards,

Dear Tim,
Using fins on a pontoon will hold you steady with hands free also will move you along too.

sandfly wrote:
Dear Tim,
Using fins on a pontoon will hold you steady with hands free also will move you along too.

Dear Sanfly,

Yes I know that because I have done it. Foot power works in a pontoon but not nearly as well as it does in a tube.

If you travel any sort of distance and the wind picks up you'll appreciate having a pair of oars along. I have a 9' Fish Cat with the low profile double chamber pontoons. I bought it specifically to use in lakes w/o the oars. It works, but you sit much higher than in a tube. It can be a struggle moving against a brisk wind at times and the oars definitely come in handy.

Worse case, in a tube you can get out of the water and walk everything back to your vehicle. You're not going to do that with a pontoon.

The guy asked about float tubes, so I'm trying to stick to the subject. A float tube works excellent for it's intended purpose of getting you off the shore in still water. It is the least expensive, easiest to transport, easiest to store and easiest to propel personal watercraft available.

Regards,

Hey Tim,

I hate to move this thread too far off topic, but since you mentioned pontoon boats, what would you "look for" or "look out for" when buying one?

Tom

Afish,
I am not Tim
, but i have had a pontoon for over ten years now, depends what you want to use your pontoon for.First off what water do you plan on using said craft? if moving water,will it involve white water in sections and will the craft you are looking at getting be rated for said white water?secondly will you prefer to fish alone or have a pontoon that will seat another angler?does the pontoon have adquate storage?can you mount an electric motor if thats something you want to pursue? whats the crafts weight rating?can you haul a cooler and some camp gear if you need or want to?,also what oars will come with the craft?does it have a special anchor included? and does the anchor have a system to be deployed and also undeployed easily?
If you get a leak is it easily fixed waterside? do you need a trailer? just a few questions you might want to consider.Also can you get a shuttle if you drift way down stream? can you use the proper lights for after dark?and do you need to register it annually?
Looking back now i wish i had gotten a bigger pontoon for at least two people hell even a three man would have been nice.My boat is rated for class 4 whitewater and will haul 500 pounds ,thats not too bad if you go light with camping gear.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Yes, he is unique. I have a kayak, but have been toying with the idea of getting a pontoon to float bigger rivers like the Susky and Delaware. No trailer, would carry it in the back of my SUV. Also thought about a two-man model.

Dear afish,

Lonewolve gave you a lot of good questions to consider when you purchase a pontoon. One thing to consider; and lonewolve talked about it, is if you don't have a full sized pick-up, SUV, van or a vehicle with a sturdy cargo rack then transport and set up for a pontoon is a PITA.

I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll send you some information when I get back via PM. There are literally dozens of pontoons available and you choice will be dictated by your budget and your intended use.

Regards,

FrequentTyer wrote:
Got the PM outsider. Thanks.
Rick, I had a run in with a water snake wet wading Nockamixon a couple of years ago. Thanks for reminding me (shiver :-o )
I've got a lot of research to do. Thanks for all the tips guys!
Mike.

FrequentTyer, check your pm inbox.

Back