Anyone use Micro Fibbets

buffalo7

buffalo7

I have micro fibbets that I had for years and never used one of them. I never had a problem useing hackle fibers, mink tail guard hairs or deer hair, but would like to try some micro fibbets on split tails. can anyone give me advice on how many to use and how long for supporting a dry fly.

For tricos, or itty bitty things, two or four split. For bigger flies, I just grab a very small bundle and flare them as if it was deer hair.

For size 14 or smaller I use 4 split and larger I use 6 split.
Give or take, sometimes it's hard to see how many I cut off the bunch.

I use these on my spent wing spinner flies. I use 4 split. When I take the hook back to the bend, I add a little dubbing to help split the tail.

I've been using these on my split tails for a long time, and have come up with a bit of a standard that I follow:

#14 flies and larger - 3 fibbets per side
#16 & #18 flies - 2 fibbets per side
#20 and smaller - 1 per side

The rule of thumb on tail length, is for them to be as long as the hook shank. Although I like to make mine just a little longer.

Thanks for the reply everyone, I'm going to do some poly wing spinners in 14 and 16, and myabe some no haclkles with split tails. It's been a long time since I did the no hackles. I'll start off with 3 on each side with the 14s, I would like to use as few as posible. Thanks again.

Mayfly tails, in any stage.

Back