Anyone use czech nymphs on this forum?

jkilroy

jkilroy

Hi,
I'm working on tying up some Czech nymphs, just wondering if anyone on this forum uses them in PA. I've done some euro-nymphing this year and man, it really works. If anyone is using them, what's the hot color. I've tied up a few different color combo's, some with hot spots, some not. Can't wait to try them out.

I've been tying them mostly because they are fun and tie and look at! Rhyco caddis, Bottom rollers, and Orange Sherbet have been my patterns of choice lately. I have been incorporating pink hotspots on some and plan to try them for winter steelhead in NY this season.

Do they work for steelhead? I'm using this new material for the shellback, called magic foil pearl strips. It has a nice flash to it. It comes in a few colors.

Yeah, they work for steelhead.

I tie and use a few czech style nymphs, but I tend to use my own nymph patterns more often.

I love to use semi euro nymphing methods, but do so with split shot and soft hackled nymphs of my own design. I still have a lot of tinkering to do, but the ligher soft hackle nymphs swim very well with a czech style presentation. I had four or five of my best numbers days of all time this year using this method.

im interested in the czech nymphing style have any good links ? or book suggestions

flipnfly wrote:
im interested in the czech nymphing style have any good links ? or book suggestions

Poke around this site:Czech Nymphs

And this one:Fly Guy's Outfitting

That'll get you started. Search youtube for videos.

There's more to European nymphing methods than just the Czech style. Under the right conditions, it is highly effective. There's way too much info to post here - had I known last weekend that you were interested in this style of fishing, I could have given you some leaders and flies, as well as a mini "seminar" on the subject.

We should talk. ;-)

H.A.

I'm pretty much in the same place as Jay. I tie my own weighted nymphs to fish Czech style. I also sometimes use some split shot or putty here and there to fine tune the drift. CN is a great way to catch fish under certain conditions - faster water from fairly shallow to moderate depths, where you can wade and fish close-in without spooking the fish. There are other Euro methods for fishing at a greater distance. The link posted above is a good place to start. Give it a try.

Euro-nymphing is highly effective most of the time but you have to do it in fast pocket water, that's where the fish are, and they don't spook as easy.

here is a nice lil starter piece on czech and euro style nymphingmanual

ok one question what are the usual range of fly sizes mostly everything i have read about this topic usually says partridge cz hook i know that they are tied on scud and caddis hooks but whats the normal size range? 10 to 16?

we used the czech system for years, also called high sticking here if you ask me, A heavy point fly and 1 to 2 more above. cast up a short distance and keep the rod high. while bouncing the nymphs along the bottom. The old masters of the poconos would fish this way. I fished with schreibert this way quite a few times.

I have had a lot of luck with a tan "crane fly larva". Caddis hook, gold bead, stup of tan antron yarn for a tail. Pale tan dubbing with a clear shell back and fine mono rib. Lead wire can also be added.

Kev

actually sand i was reading that there is a differencebetween high sticking and czech/euro style with czech style the multiple fly rigs are heavier therefore drift slower through the current thats why they lead or drag the flies through the water at the same speed of the current where as with high sticking its a dead drift and the mends are done by lifting the rod as the fly approaches you and then lowering as it passes to me the difference is with highsticking you get a longer drift where as with czech /euro style your drift ends as soon as the fly passes out from directly where the angler is positioned thats how i percieve it if i am wrong all advice is welcomed...

Flippyfly,
you are right to a degree.In the old days we would tie 2 to 3 flies on and add alot of weight in front of the point fly. lob them upstream and keep them bouncing along the bottom till they get in front of you, then lob up stream again. i learned this from the likes of schreibert, and the guys who fished the pocono region in the sixties. just another form of high sticking back then. I did high stick the standard way too..I watched Flick fish this way during high water too.

sandfly wrote:
Flippyfly,
you are right to a degree.In the old days we would tie 2 to 3 flies on and add alot of weight in front of the point fly. lob them upstream and keep them bouncing along the bottom till they get in front of you, then lob up stream again. i learned this from the likes of schreibert, and the guys who fished the pocono region in the sixties. just another form of high sticking back then. I did high stick the standard way too..I watched Flick fish this way during high water too.

I used the same technique for bait fishing way-back when. When I later switched to fly-fishing I used this same technique for nymphs and wets because I didn't have anyone to teach me, and didn't know it was the "wrong" way to FF, but I caught a bunch of fish. I later learned the "proper way" to FF, but now my bait-fishing fly-fishing technique IS the proper way, the equipment is just a lot more expensive now.

FYI, I posted this link on another thread. Great info on Euro nymphing:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

Back