Anyone Tried One OF These?? (tippet threader) for Old Guys

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

http://www.google.com/search?q=magnetic+tippet+threader&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7HPIA_en

LJ,

I have one. I had a few bucks on a cabelas card and grabbed one. I'll dig it out and see how it works. If it works well, you can have it.

sound like a deal, but I wlll glady send you paypal coin , I love gadgets

I bought every fishing light made before I finally admitted I needed specs.

Ok, very nice, but one of those almost no weight sewing threaders do pretty much the same thing down to about a #22. No?
Coughlin

jayL wrote:
LJ,

I have one. I had a few bucks on a cabelas card and grabbed one. I'll dig it out and see how it works. If it works well, you can have it.

Jay

If you try it and they work, let me know, I could use some help with tying on my flies!

PaulG

That's pretty slick, but a bit bulky to suit my tastes. I've got one of the C&F midge boxes with threaders. They fit inside the box and if I'm using midges, that's generally when I need them. Coughlin, brings up a good suggestion too and those things are likely very inexpensive. The magnetic device does look very easy to use though and I can see the appeal.

While that does look very slick and I could definitely see myself using it - I can also see myself NOT using it - which will probably restrict me from buying it. The midge threaders work pretty well and I like that they are compact and light.

Jason: did you ever get that Orvis pack, I forgot to ask you.

My wife is a dental hygienist and she gets me free floss threaders from work.

I use them for threading my bobin and now I might use them to thread hooks as well. Never really had a problem with the tippet but as I age I am sure it will get harder.

Floss Threader

Ask your dentist for a pack your next check up. . . They are usually free.

I am pretty sure it will tread a 22 and maybe a size 24. Anything smaller might be an issue.

Millertime, anything smaller and...well, it surely would be millertime!
Coughlin

Millertime wrote:
My wife is a dental hygienist and she gets me free floss threaders from work.

I use them for threading my bobin and now I might use them to thread hooks as well. Never really had a problem with the tippet but as I age I am sure it will get harder.

Floss Threader

Ask your dentist for a pack your next check up. . . They are usually free.

I am pretty sure it will tread a 22 and maybe a size 24. Anything smaller might be an issue.

don't you still have to run that thing thru the eye of the fly?

I still haven't found the damn thing, but will try again tonight.

For what its worth, when I tie small flies, I put some ultra thin wire through the eye and twist it off. Built in threader.

Ernie, I did pick up the pack and looking forward to putting it to use in Erie this fall/winter. We need to get up there!

The pack is perfect for Erie - we're gonna look like twins - haha - weird, man

Facts of life

when you get old and your eyes go.

stuff close to you gets smaller

except you wife?

hehe

Tom, you do but it is really stiff and makes it very easy to pass it through. I will test it out later tonight to see how effective it is on smaller eyelets.

When i first saw these , probably 15 years ago , appear in Orvis catalog i thought they looked like a good idea , being the cheap ******* that i am , i used some very fine stainless steel wire , and some self adhesive velcro i got from a friend in the auto upholstery business and made my own threader box. The best thing about these to me is that you can load several flies of the same size and pattern on each threader you have , beforehand , so when you are on the water in fading light and with old eyes (i mean my old eyes not yours) just identify the threader with the size and pattern you want on it and the rest is a snap. I like these things and use mine all the time especially on small stuff.

Old or not threaders are very helpful.

I have a CF Design threader box for my midges. Im only 31 and i have a hell of a time getting 6x tippet into a size 24 midge. Its a snap with a threader.

I highly recommend paying the extra bucks to get one of these boxes.

For what its worth, when I tie small flies, I put some ultra thin wire through the eye and twist it off. Built in threader.

Jay thats a really inventive idea. I never thought of doing that before. Probably cheaper than my threader box ;-)

I second what sal says about the built in threader idea .......GREAT IDEA!!!!

I got one of the magnetic tippet threader, for me and my brother-in-law, from Bass Pro last year, as we are both in our early 70s. When I need to change a fly, I needed to get somewhere with somewhere with light or a big green leaf in the background to see the hook eye. The one I got works great for me as I’m also blind in one eye and always had a hard time getting tippet thru a hook eye.

Back