Anyone tie on a Danvise?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just briefly shopping around for a new vise and saw some rotary Danvises for around $75. Looks to be a pretty nice vise, but wondering what a true review on the product is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DANVISE-ROTARY-FLY-TYING-VISE-DANICA-FREE-DVD-/310248774269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483c449a7d

Here's the link for that and also another vise that peaked my interest in my price range. Never heard of it though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190437154025&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ryan

Thought about it, came down to the Davise and the Griffin Odysessy Spider. Same price, same basic features and it was all about material, layout, and build quality.

Honestly, it was about six of one and half of the other, but people said the Danvise could feel "crowded" at the back of the hook. I opted for the Spider.

Ry,

here's a review from the Fly Fish Ohio site. I have read some pretty good articles on there in the past and find them to be a good source of information.

Better yet, check out their vise review. All vises reviewed are under 150.

The materials seem suspect to me in the Danvise. Some people seem to have problems with them, others have no issues and nothing but love for the Danvise. Me? I'd rather not deal with issues, I wanted something solid, that didn't break the bank and wound up with a Peak. I'm very pleased with it.

If you're looking to keep this on the cheap, I'd be thinking about that Crown that they mentioned from Bass Pro Shops.

If you're going to buy the Crown, just spend the extra cash on the Regal.. it'll last a long, long time.

I use my $80, but I wish I'd spent the 2x on the Regal.

gfen wrote:
Thought about it, came down to the Davise and the Griffin Odysessy Spider. Same price, same basic features and it was all about material, layout, and build quality.

Honestly, it was about six of one and half of the other, but people said the Danvise could feel "crowded" at the back of the hook. I opted for the Spider.

I tried a Danvise and I agree it felt crowded. I'm left handed but tie right handed. Don't know if that's a factor or not.

I have had one for 5 or 6 years now and I like it. Would i like a nicer vice ? Yes I would but I am cheap and it works very well. I have tied thousands of flies on it and it is still kickin -

Hey Bruno, is there an available pedistal for the danvise?

I tie on the danvise. It can definitely be crowded at the back of the hook, but you adjust. There is a pedestal available. I will say that the danvise takes up a lot of space on the table when compared to other vises, but it has very powerful jaws for the price. Rotary is great, and easily adjustable. Ball bearing keeps it nice and smooth. Overall, no complaints. For the price I wouldn't get anything different, and at this point I don't see spending $150 on a vise.

I have been using the Danvise for about 10 years now with no major issue. I had one of the screws tighten up on me and ripped the plastic head off, they sent me a new one to replace it - no charge! That is great service for a great product. I tied on a Thompson model A until I got my Danvise.

I picked up a base for ten bucks at sportsman's

Well I just literally purchased a danvise WITH a pedistal base on Ebay for $50! Slightly used but a great deal!

I got my new vise in today. Since I bought it used, it didn't come with the instructional dvd... anyone have one that I can borrow?

Hey Ryan, I never tied on on a danville, but they look pretty cool let us know how it works.

Thanks... that was my next step but I haven't had much time lately to even do that.

Back