Anyone tie caddis like this?

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just wondering if anyone ties their caddis like this. I have always nailed them in the green and just started tying the red and brown this week.

You cant beat the material cost 1 hook, a few inches of vinyl rib, peacock, and a beadhead. Very fast and easy to tie Trout love them. I often save the left over pea **** from my pheasant tails to use for these since they dont take as much. Just a thought.

Caught everything from stockies to steelhead on this pattern. Not sure if it is a known pattern or not. Just thought i would share what i call the cassandra caddis. Forgive me if this is a known pattern i am not trying to say i invented it but i have never seen it before. Thanks for looking.

Any other caddis imitations out there?

Attachments

• beadheadcaddis.JPG
    beadheadcaddis.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 19
Great ties Mike. Thanks for sharing. Would you be so good as to put a recipe up. Hook make and #, colors of vinyl and brand name. You can PM me if you want since maybe other guys already tie them and its just my ignorance. Thanks.

All sorts of similar patterns out there. Dubbed bodies with a rib or any other material that creates segmentation will work. Again, the peacock collar or some other dark collar - dubbing, ostrich herl etc. is common. Doesn't mean they won't work as you found out. Nice ties and because they're so simple, it's not the end of the world when you lose one to the stream gods.

Sure let me check the names of the components. Any hook or bead head will work.

hook- tiemco umpqua feather merchants TMC 3761 SIZE: 14
UTC vinly rib med or nym in red, olive, and brown
waspi cyclops beads size 7/64
any thread will work. but with the vinyl rib being seethrough you can spice up the fly anyway you want with a full base coat of thread.

Tying is easy. I take the barb off. Slide the beadhead on. I put the end of the ribbing under the beadhead and tie it in back to the hook bend. Thread it back up to where i want to add the pea ****. Wrap the body up. IF you pull the rib tight if flattens out. A lose roll makes the boddy have ribs.

Thanks for the insight just wanted to add an option to the many caddis paterns out there.

One of the most effective caddis patterns I use is an olive bead head soft hackle. The body material I use might actually be rubber legs like you might find on a bass bug. Can't remember exactly.

Tiemco 2487 - #12 - #16
Gold bead to match hook size
Abdomen - Olive ribbing, vinyl rib, etc.
Thorax - loosely dubbed collar of dark hare's ear.
Legs - couple of wraps of partridge.

Hey Mike,
I have tied up the same pattern on a scud hook in green and never took it out of the fly box to try it yet. I think I'm going to have to give them a go out on these mid west rivers this spring! Let me know how you do with the other colors!

Yep, as a matter of fact it reminds me alot of a beadhead serendipity tied on a straight hook. They look nice man keep on keepin on...

There was a similar pattern in one of the magazines over the past couple of years. It may have been "Fly Tyer". It was called a metallic caddis. Tied on a skud hook. Body of UTC ultra wire (chartreuse, red or copper). Peacock herl collar and either a gold or copper beadhead. I also added a small puff of CDC (tier's choice of color) in under the collar for a bit of movement. I have done real well with them. My favorite is the copper color wire but I admit I definitely have fished them more than the red or green. Generally, my experience is that the takes on this pattern are no at all subtle, they jump on em pretty hard which I feel also makes them a good choice for somebody just learning nymphing techniques.

agreed dc they smash them. I love watching the indicator rip up stream. Still a little rough around the edges without the training wheels but part of my thrill is seeing the indicator go down. Thanks for the insight guys.

I tye mine with micro tubing and insert ultra wire in it. Then wrap up the shank and a peacock collar behind the bead. Its tyed it on dia riki 135 in 12 14 and 16. Smashed steelies on the sz 12 dark green with chart wire in it.

Mike,

Hey, you gotta go with what gives you the "thrill". That's what it's all about! I have fished them both with and without indicators. Sometimes I use the small size plastic float type "thingamabobbers". What I like about them is that you can quickly adjust the position of them to fish your caddis at whatever level you want based on the depth of water. I have seen fish totally pull the plastic indicator under the surface when they crush this pattern, it is pretty cool!

Im a thingamabobber guy too. Have you use the ones with the insert stopper? Ordering mine from cabelas today

I don't know what you are referring to with the "stopper insert". Mine are the ones that you loop the leader through the grommet and loop it around the ball. What are advantages to the ones you are ordering?

I think they include a thingamajigger that you stick in the hole to prevent the ball from sliding on the leader.

Oh yeah! Kind of like a "doohicky". That is one problem with the original design, they do occasionally slide on the leader without you realizing it.

The only thing that bothers me is when the leader is kinked from using them. I am wondering if the new design is to slide your bobber on and just pin it in place

Looks good Mike. I tie those on scud hooks.

Back