Anyone see this

Hah, I guess him keeping his dinner plans is evidence that he was not lying about catching other big fish in the past. That certainly tracks...

Hacked.

If it was really Ryan posting it would have lead to an article about a record native Fallfish.

He's got his priorities straight. I'm not letting the ice melt in my drink either.

Fish doesn't count on spinning gear anyway. It might as well have been a boot.

Big stockie. Who cares. I'm into micro-fishing these days. I'm mostly looking for my first 5 inch native dace but I keep catching stupid brook trout.

I always thought that as well. The records should be of wild/native fish only.
That seems way too hard to actually track, though. Just one more complication AND it basically only applies to salmonids.

Honestly, I couldn't give a care about a record or catching a record, anyways.

There is some huge holdover fish in that system from the lake, so they aren’t exactly stocked in the context of just dumped from a truck. I’ve said it a thousand times, we are blessed in PA to have opportunity at huge trout without traveling. I thought it was a cool story.

So was the current record rainbow from Jordan Creek. It seems absurd to have a stocked fish be the state record.

Yes it was. There was a big dust up as to who actually caught the fish. I recall a write up in a local paper that the fish got wrapped around another anglers line and the 2 anglers battled the fish. The second angler landed the fish and took posession. The fish was not foul hooked so because the fish was landed and taken into posession by the second angler he gets to claim fish. The angler whose bait the fish ate did not land fish. He is SOL.

Jordan is a relatively small stream and if i recall this happened on the first day or at most first few days of season.

It must have been quite the fiasco.

There is some huge holdover fish in that system from the lake, so they aren’t exactly stocked in the context of just dumped from a truck. I’ve said it a thousand times, we are blessed in PA to have opportunity at huge trout without traveling. I thought it was a cool story.

Was that fish caught above or below that lake, does anyone know?

Also, as I've never fished Beltzville or the "Po" below the lake, can fish get FROM the lake into the sections below?

Finally, it wasn't anywhere near that size but I did once catch a 20" wild (assumed) brown trout in a foot or so of water way, way up the Pohopoco in Effort.

Most people I told about my fish assumed it came up from the lake which is at least 9 river miles from the backwaters of the lake...

Possible, probable??

Big stockie. Who cares. I'm into micro-fishing these days. I'm mostly looking for my first 5 inch native dace but I keep catching stupid brook trout.
Send those brookies my way!

I always thought that as well. The records should be of wild/native fish only.
Having known what happens to record fish (they get killed) I think having records applied to wild/native fish is an even worse idea. I will say that wild/native fish will always trump stockers in my book. Those near double digit brookies you have caught far surpass any trout I have caught in terms of cool factor. I have yet to catch a native brookie that was 10 inches.

Having read "Lords of the Fly", a book about chasing records tarpon in FL, I realized record chasing just isn't for me, not that I'd have any shot at getting a record anyway. For me, just knowing that I caught I record fish would be enough satisfaction, and I would release the fish and wouldn't submit it for a record.

Having known what happens to record fish (they get killed) I think having records applied to wild/native fish is an even worse idea. I will say that wild/native fish will always trump stockers in my book. Those near double digit brookies you have caught far surpass any trout I have caught in terms of cool factor. I have yet to catch a native brookie that was 10 inches.

Having read "Lords of the Fly", a book about chasing records tarpon in FL, I realized record chasing just isn't for me, not that I'd have any shot at getting a record anyway. For me, just knowing that I caught I record fish would be enough satisfaction, and I would release the fish and wouldn't submit it for a record.
Just fish streams where natives of that size exist. Those 10" and 11" natives aren't all that rare, it's the 12"+ natives that are the real unicorns.

Back