Anyone remember these?

JG63

JG63

82897588-F859-403A-8B5D-C6C09C0CB991.jpg

I paid almost $10 a box for these Partridges back in '82. Probably nearly worth their respective weight in gold now. Down to my last 20 or so in the #22. Still about 60 or so of the Marinaro midges. They don't make em like this anymore!

82' was a great year. I was born.

Freakin' kids JG!

My "trout" hooks are from the mid-70s.

Shane is still a little wet behind the ears

Neat!

I've been tying long enough to remember getting hooks in boxes. Unfortunately, I long ago used up those old hook packs. These old versions do show up at FF shows from time to time. I don't recall the brands I used 30 years ago except that I used Mustads a lot.

I remember buying Mustad hooks in paper boxes.
But I didn't start using the Marinaro hooks until the late'80's/early '90's - and they came in the plastic pouches by then.
That was pretty much the only brands of fly tying hooks around at that time I believe

Yeah, this definitely jogs the memory. That is just about the era that I really started to get into tying flies. I never tied on any of the Partridge hooks but I still have a few of the old Mustad paper boxes hanging around with a few hooks in them that FI made reference to. Heck, I didn't even know what a size 26 hook looked like back then.

It is kind of refreshing to think back to how simple it was way back in the day. I could pretty well make due with a box of Mustad 3906B and a box of Mustad 94840 in both sizes 12 and 14. If I was tying a wet or nymph it was the 3906B and anything I wanted to try to fish dry was tied on the 94840. A big fly (size 12) and a small fly (size 14). Simple, huh?

The simplicity even transferred over to my fishing. Fishing on top .....if the naturals were darker - I used an Adams. If they were lighter in color - the Light Cahill was my "go to". I caught a lot of fish during those early years on a size 14 Light Cahill before I even knew that there was such a thing called a Sulphur. As far as nymphing went, I was pretty well set with a Hare's Ear and some Muskrat nymphs in sizes 12 and 14. Boy, things have changed an awful lot over the past 30+ years in fly tying and fishing. I guess they call that progress, right? Cool thread! Thanks for bringing back some of the memories.

Attachments

• Old Mustads.jpg
    Old Mustads.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4
Yea, me too. I remember these. I started tying in the early 70's.
My Dad and i would go to a local sporting shop. They would sell us mustad hooks by the pc. We could buy as many or as few as we wanted. Eventualy we did buy full boxes. I also still have some around. Fun days.

GenCon

Still have mustads in paper boxes from the 60's still have old upturned eye dry fly hooks !
good god I am old !

The word "emerger" haden't yet emerged.

SBecker wrote:
82' was a great year. I was born.
You are right it was a great year. It's the year I got out of the US Army.

can't remember at all !

Attachments

• DSCF6035 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF6035 (400x300).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF6036 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF6036 (400x300).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF6037 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF6037 (400x300).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF6038 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF6038 (400x300).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4
Nice collection Sandfly! I remember lots of those Mustad slider boxes. DC, I still speak Mustad nomenclature for most of my hook speak. I.E. "Tie yer Cahill on a 16 94840". - NS, I suppose these kids will have fond memories of Daiichi and Gamakatsu

LOL Still have some old Herter's hooks in paper envelopes. Also the vice from Herters. Pups,said the old dog. GG

That's just a small part of the collection, oh yeah I still use these. I am getting low on a lot now.

Back