Anyone interested in float tubing around Harrisburg?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

Let me begin by saying if this sounds like a weird personal ad I apologize. I'd like to find someone who wants to float tube local lakes?

I have a couple of float tubes with life vests and fins that are registered with launch permits. What I lack is a fishing buddy.

I need a reason, or maybe just an excuse, to get back out on the water. There really aren't a lot of options around here but I'm up for a 45 minute drive give or take a few minutes.

All you will need to do is show up with a rod and reel and some flies. If you have any interest send me a PM. If you have a spot you'd like to fish mention in it in the PM.

I just want to get out more and I need a little inspiration.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Hi Tim,

Well I'm too old to trust myself in a float tube but if you want to have a fishing buddy I'm open any day of the week. I prefer not to wade due to a mobility issue but I have a nice 15' modified Vee bass boat with a 40 horsepower Yamaha jet. When I fish the Susky I am open to both fly and spin as well as using live shiners. If those techniques don't flip you out you can PM me.

The river is very low now and the water temps are quite high. I check the Marietta gage and right now the river is just 9500 cfs. Even with the jet I have to pick my way around so as not to hit any rocks. Once in awhile I drag the boat up to Liverpool because even when the river around Columbia is low there is decent depth up there.

Matt

I would caution anyone against wet wading in Susquehanna or many of its tributaries. Often very high bacteria count. I have been to doctor twice for infection to feet after wading it. First question doctor asked me was " were you wading on river?".

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Board,

I have a couple of float tubes with life vests and fins that are registered with launch permits. What I lack is a fishing buddy.

Regards,

DO WE NEED LAUNCH PERMITS NOW?

tomgamber wrote:
TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Board,

Regards,

DO WE NEED LAUNCH PERMITS NOW?

Dear Tom,

If you launch a float tube in most parks or use a boat launch you do need a launch permit. If you launch in a State Park you cannot circumvent the need for a launch permit by launching from shore either.

I'm not saying you will get caught but if you do you can get out of a ticket by buying a permit on the water. I did that when I was checked by a ranger in a boat so I know it's true.

Regards,

I ask cuz my float tube is under 6ft in length and have never needed a launch permit at any state park or PAFBC managed lake. that said, I haven't been in mine in 8 years or so but I had the DCNR officer confirm that for me when I was there back when. My kayak I had a permit but never for a float tube.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Fishing/Pages/default.aspx

Fishing with a Float Tube in State Parks

Float tubes, also known as a belly boats or kick boats, continue to rise in popularity. Quality float tubes are permitted while fishing in state park lakes and still waters, away from designated swimming and boat launching areas.

A quality U-shaped, V-shaped, or round float tube is constructed of high quality, durable materials with one or more inflatable bladders inside a sewn cover.

Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device must be worn at all times. No launch permit is required.

A state park officer can terminate float tube use if the device does not conform with material quality requirements, is being used in an unsafe manner, or is used during unsafe conditions.

the PAFBC site is not this specific.

So anyway, once we get the location and potential permitting out of the way...I have a couple tubes and have been jonesing to get in one. One of my favorite ways to fish. We should definitely go.

As for what WB said about being too old...nah. Once fished with a guy in his 90's had a tube with a smaller secondary tube that held a small marine battery hooked to a trolling motor and a fish finder. Not in PA obviously but man ,he was rigged and it was a killer trying to keep up with him and i was in my 20's at the time.

Dear Tom,

Here is what the Fish and Boat Commission says about non-powered boats using State Parks and Fish Commision lakes or boat launches.

UN-POWERED BOAT PERMITS

Unpowered boats used at Commission lakes or access areas, PA state parks or PA state forests must be:

properly registered, or
display an official and valid Commission use permit, or
display an official and valid watercraft launch or mooring permit issued by DCNR.

If you keep reading around the site inflatable canoes, kayaks, SUP's, rafts, etc are considered un-powered and they apply that to float tubes as well.

You can just order one on line. You can print out a paper copy of it that is good for 3 months and the decals arrive in a couple of weeks. I think I'm just going to laminate the launch permits and put them in a hunting license sized holder and pin them to the tubes. I can't see any other way to keep the decals on an inflatable.

If it cools down a little I'm ready. I'm just not going to go sit in a tube in 90 plus heat.

Regards,

Yes. I read that too. I was referring to this part below that you wrote.

Looks like state park, don't need. PAFBC waters, need.

TimMurphy wrote:
If you launch in a State Park you cannot circumvent the need for a launch permit by launching from shore either.

Regards,

I miss fishing for trout in lakes from the tube.

tomgamber wrote:
Yes. I read that too. I was referring to this part below that you wrote.

Looks like state park, don't need. PAFBC waters, need.

TimMurphy wrote:
If you launch in a State Park you cannot circumvent the need for a launch permit by launching from shore either.

Regards,

I miss fishing for trout in lakes from the tube.

Dear Tom,

Re-read the first line of the text I copied. You need a launch permit for an inflatable in all State Parks. If you read a State Park brochure from a park that has a boatable lake you will see that launch permits or mooring permits are mandatory.

Just another one of those damned taxes!

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

>>I think I'm just going to laminate the launch permits and put them in a hunting license sized holder and pin them to the tubes. I can't see any other way to keep the decals on an inflatable.>>

I went around by email with the boating enforcement people when I got my inflatable yak as to what to do to be in compliance. The abridged answer is that while they would prefer some permanent placement on the tubes on the kayak, they would consider the decals in license holders hung from d-rings, one on each side of the craft to be legal.
But truth be told, I seldom ever mount my stickers at all unless I see PF&BC enforcement folks around. I just carry them in the craft with me. So far, so good...

tomgamber wrote:

Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device must be worn at all times. No launch permit is required.

Tim,

This is from the DCNR regulations website. They specifically single out float tubes as an exception.

Your copy/paste is from PAFBC. Mine is for state parks.

tomgamber wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Tim,

This is from the DCNR regulations website. They specifically single out float tubes as an exception.

Your copy/paste is from PAFBC. Mine is for state parks.

Dear Tom,

If you read the brochure for Memorial Lake State Park under the boating header it seems pretty clear that everything that is not powered by a motor does need a launch or mooring permit. That is obviously different from what you posted from DCNR.

I will readily admit that the rules are not particularly well written and definitely not clear. I became aware of the need for a launch permit on a float tube when I was stopped by a ranger in mid-lake on Memorial Lake. I just bought the permit on the water and continued on my way. This year I renewed it.

http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocument?docId=1753194&DocName=MELA_ParkGuide.pdf

It's $ 10.00 and the money is used to build and maintain launches and parking areas. It's a bit of a PITA, but it became necessary with the rise in popularity of kayaks. In that sense I think it is fair because kayakers did, and continue to use launch areas that were originally build for motor boaters.

I'm all for sharing, but I'm personally not a big fan of sharing things for free. I think that if you make use of something you should be expected to contribute to it's maintenance and upkeep. I know I'll win no award for that sentiment, but it is what it is and I'll stand by it.

If it ever drops below 90 degrees again we will hit the water, legally or not!

Regards,

gotta cool down sometime. Maybe the it'll take until the leaves make it so I miss a few because I'm too busy sight seeing. I don’t even mind getting skunked on a day like that.

"sounds like a weird personal ad I apologize"

nothing to apologize for. I have a float tube that I bought back in the 70's with the intent to use it on a Rocky Mt high-lake pack trip. I recently "discovered" it in storage. I would like to use it around the Lehigh/Schuylkill county lakes, Leaser, Locust, Mauch Chunk, Tuscarora, etc. Anyone interested, contact me.
It's a Caddis float tube. I want to float "wet" using regular swim fins, not with the fins that came with it.
Never would dawn on me that a permit would be required for this. I see kids floating around with inner tubes all the time and that's all a float tube is, an inner tube with a cover and pockets. Only requirement should be a life vest. Well, 10 bucks is a mere bag of shells.

FYI, FRED, I'VE USED BOTH AND SWIM FINS DON'T WORK NEARLY AS WELL. THE CADDIS FINS ARE MORE EFFICIENT. THEY JUST LOOK WEIRD. AND IF YOU EVER WANDER INTO A SHALLOW AREA YOU'LL BE REALLY GLAD YOU HAVE ACTUAL SHOES ON. EW

Dear Frederick,

You can get Caddis brand fins for about $ 40.00 on line and even in many sporting goods stores like Dick's, or Gander, or Field and Stream and Cabelas.

They make a difference and they are made to fit over wading boots so your feet have some protection. I usually wear my regular wading shoes which are a size 13 and the Caddis fins fit under the foot. I mostly wear a pair of swim shorts in the boat, only if it it is cold water and cold air like Colorado do I bother with waders. A swim fin would need to be massive to stuff a size 13 wading shoe in it.

I've been considering maybe hitting Tuscarora Lake once the weather breaks a little. Let's see what the weather brings in the next couple weeks.

Regards,

Hey Tim you big old weird dude. I remember you sleeping in the back of your truck at the Jam about 5 years ago, for 48 hours straight. I was in awe.

Your request is odd. I am on board. Shoot me a message and we shall get after it my man.

Jeff

Back