anyone had a fly line loop fail?

K

kbobb

talking about the factory made loop on most lines. I've always used a nail knot but last year went with the factory loop cause i was changing leaders from long Euro nymph leaders to conventional dry fly. I think it worked fine and none got stuck in the guides.

Although, I am concerned about failure over time. i can't imagine losing and entire leader/ rig with a fish on due to loop failure. Just wanted to see what the group experience with these was.

thanks

I like the welded the loops, and haven't had a problem with them so far. And I know I used one of my ridge lines for 5-6 years, before it finally got a few cracks in the tip section. So, I have no concerns about the loops failing.
Before the welded loops, I used to use the braided loops with the chinese finger. I just put a a little aqua seal on the end of the fly line before sliding it on. And never had one one of them come off.
However, keeping them floating was a little harder to do

Ive had em fail before, but not common I dont think. Got about a year outta an Orvis line before it cracked completely around the loop

Failure, braided yes, welded no.

I check them before each outing. Never had a failure but have had them cracked / damaged. I just cut the line and add a braided loop connection.

A welded loop? No but its always been in the back of my mind that it could happen. I usually try to hit at least that end of the line with some of that zip line stuff pretty often to keep it supple and to prevent drying and cracking

Yes, welded loop failed on me, big fish, leader and fly gone. Like Kray I now check them all the time, I have one that is cracked and could fail that is now reserved for lawn casting.

I have had welded loops fail on my Steelhead lines as i use them much more than trout weights. The nail knot has worked for me well when the loops fail. Sinking lines the weld fails more often after fewer trips I have noticed over the years.
You must check them each time out.

Back