Anyone fish Maxima Ultragreen for trout?

greenlander

greenlander

For years I've been using Maxima Ultragreen for salmon and steelhead without any concerns. I know many guides who use it and swear by it.

But, I continue to pay $10+ a spool for fluorocarbon for trout.

I'd be a lot happier paying 1/3 the price for Maxima.

I never liked fluorocarbon. Marketing BS to me, like new fly rods that will outcast and outfish your old one. I use Ultragreen for the leader and Rio Powerflex for the tippet. I do well enough to keep me happy.

All my spin reels are full of it :)

I find ultragreen way too supple for the butt end of a leader.

Greenlander,
I use Maxima Chameleon for Butss an Mid Sections, sometimes two different colors of amnesia for a strike indicator an i use three different brands for tippets
tippets are: Maxima Ultra Green
Rio Grandmax
Rio Flouroflex plus
these i use for nymphs,streamers depends what my mood is that day
for dry flies i use Ultra Green,Rio Powerflex,Climax
I love Maxima its IMHO the best strongest leader building material in freshwater flyfishing
for saltwater its strictly Seaguar Florocarbon for my leaders no deviation whatsoever

greenlander wrote:
I agree I use Chameleon.

greenlander wrote:
I agree I use Chameleon.

I just realized my question was a bit vague .. it was the terminal / tippet end of the equation I'm interested in possibly using ultragreen for. I'll use chameleon for the upper end of my leaders, but if I can replace my 1x-7x tippet spools, which cost me $80+ for a full set with ultragreen tippet which would run me about $25 for the same set.

Is anyone using ultragreen as tippet material?

Dear greenlander,

I've used Ultragreen as tippet for cool/warmwater fly fishing and it works OK for me. I've only used it down to about 4 pound test though which is probably about 3X sized tippet as Maxima tests out low for it's diameter compared to other brands.

I generally use whatever mono tippet I can find on sale, I have no real brand preference and they all seem to work about the same.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear greenlander,

I've used Ultragreen as tippet for cool/warmwater fly fishing and it works OK for me. I've only used it down to about 4 pound test though which is probably about 3X sized tippet as Maxima tests out low for it's diameter compared to other brands.

Tim, if Maxima tests out low compared to other brands, shouldn't 4lb be somewhere around 4-5x? They also have a 2lb which seems to be about a 6x-7x. Unfortunately there's a gap between 0.007 and 0.005.
So there'd be size missing somewhere between 4x and 7x.

Dear greenlander,

I just checked the stuff, 4 pound test = 4X tippet in Maxima. RIO 4X tests out at 5.5 lbs for Mainstream. Looking at Maxima charts at one internet retailer it looks like they don't offer a 5X diameter tippet material. They sell things in # test designations and go from 4 # - 4X to 2# - 6X.

If you look around you will find that isn't actually the case as Flyfisher's Paradise offers Maxima in 1X - 6X, plus 8X. I have some Chameleon laying around in 5X but it's not handy right now to check the line test but 3 lbs seems to strike me as the right number.

I've always liked Maxima and used Maxima Chameleon exclusively for many years for leaders I built, and not just the butt section, I made entire leaders out of the stuff. It worked nymphing and with dry flies and I found the color and low suppleness was no impediment when I built good leaders and made good casts.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back