Anyone ever used Cabela's or BPS White River Fly Shop combos?

fishingood

fishingood

Hey guys, so in the past, I've done most of my fly fishing for trout, but I'm getting more into fly fishing for bigger fish, such as steelhead, bass, pike, and striped bass. I usually fish with a 5 wt fly rod, and I've caught a lot of these bigger fish on it, but I really have to let the fish run and tire out, which can't be good for it. I would like to play these fish quicker, and would like a little more backbone and "muscle" in the rod to be able to control fish better, and be able to move them a little quicker. So, I'm planning on investing in an affordable 8 weight rod, that will get moderate use (2-4 times a month).

Now, I've always been of the thought that "it ain't the rod it's the fisherman." I also fish in a bass tournament club, and most of my rods consist of value combos that I purchase at Wal-Mart, ****'s, Cabela's, and Bass Pro Shops, and with a 40-60 dollar rod, I've been able to outfish guys who go into overkill, and purchase custom tournament 200 dollar rods, with 100 dollar reels.

Anyway, I've been browsing for my new fly rod, and have come across some combos from Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops White River Fly Shop series, that run anywhere from 60-180 dollars for rod, reel, and line (looking to spend 150 or under). I've also been looking at the Reddington Crosswater. I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with any Cabela's or BPS combos, and if so, could you please give me a review of how it worked out. Thanks!

I have a Crosswater and love it. I hate the reel though. It just feels cheap. I put another reel on the rod. The rod iteself...awesome.

If you're going up in rod sizes, spend a little more on the reel rather than the rod. I've cast numerous cheapo 8wts that work perfectly fine. It's usually the cheap graphite reels that will get destroyed. I've used a Sci Angler 8wt combo that I bought from Wally World while vacationing in the OBX. It was an 8/9wt 4pc with a graphite reel. It's an ugly rod with cheap components but casts great. The reel did not last as long and I eventually bought a used Mastery reel on Ebay. The combo works great, especially from the kayak. If it goes over and I don't get it back, I wont be too upset.

i had a 5wt white river rod and reel combo until i broke the rod by accident. but like squatch said, the reel that came with it was crap. i bought a BBS II to put on it and it was killer. favorite rod i ever used, caught 100's of fish with it.

I own both Cabelas and BPS entry level (or close to it) combos. Both are perfectly serviceable, fairly durable, and will catch fish, and I still use both as backup rods in various applications. The Cabelas reel was a little nicer than the BPS, and the Cabelas rod had nicer components than the BPS, but the BPS rod casted better IMO, FWIW. Both combos were about $100, give or take, with line/backing/and a leader included.

That said, don’t necessarily limit yourself to the prepackaged combos. There is a lot of inherent "bang for your buck" in going that route, but in the $150 price range you still have options in terms of piecing together a set up yourself too.

Edit: Come to think of it, there's still one instance where the BPS serves as a primary rod...In Winter when I fish Brookie streams I often fish a small (size 14) BH Bugger. The BPS rod is a 7'0 4wt and is a little heavier and faster than my other short Brookie rod, and handles those heavier flies a little better.

Yes I'm leaning more and more towards doing that, probably gonna head out and shop around a bit later and try to piece together my own combo with a higher quality reel.

Thank you for the help everyone!

Well guys, last night I bit the bullet. Picked up a Cabela's three forks rod, that I thought was very nice for 60 dollars, I think it's more sensitive and ligher than what I use now (an upper end Courtland that I got as a gift). Another customer actually saw me browsing, and said the rod is a great value, and is very similar to the St Croix Legend.

Went home, and went to browse for reels at Dunhams, ended up finding a nice Pfleuger reel for a little more than the rod cost, and when I took it out of the box, it just felt sturdy and right. Spooled it up, and with a little daylight left, took it over to the Susky to break it in a bit.. Obviously didnt catch anything, but casting was very accurate, drag on the reel was superb, and the rod is very sensitive, with plenty of backbone to boot. Just need to get into a fish now to really see what this baby can do.

Thank you everyone for your help!

My first rod was an 8 wt White River Hobbs Creek outfit. I fished this rod for smallmouth and steelhead for 3 or 4 years before I broke it. The reel is a bit heavy and is cast, but it go the job done for years. The rod and reel were pretty good, but the line is crappy. The Hobbs Creek outift with a better line will get you started and last for a few years. I also have a 5 wt crosswater outfit, my experience was the same as Sasquatch. Great rod for the money, crappy reel. I think the price point is about the same for both outfits. The Hobbs Creek is a better value than the crosswater because the reel is much better.

But the line on the Crosswater is much better...

White river rods are good, like many people have said above. But like everything else in life you get what you pay for. If I where you I would save up a little more an get something you won't regret later. Just my .02$

I have a 7' #5 White River Classic ultralight combo. It was the heaviest rod in yhe ultralight series. I would say its more like a short-mag than an ultralight. It was one of their higher end combos at around $220. Bought it about 4 or 5 years ago after breaking an old St. Croix.

I can't complain, the rod has a lot of punch for roll casting big nymphs on tight streams and the reel is really well made with a great drag. Broke the rod tip and they replaced it.

I passed on the next price range down because the reels just looked cheap and bulky and sucky.

fishingood,

Give us an initial review of that new rod that you bought when you get a chance. What weight and length did you buy? I am really not up on the retail prices, is that a 2 piece or 4 piece rod? I am considering buying a new 8 weight but don't want to break the bank. Cabelas, BPS or Reddington are all reasonable options. I am also considering just buying the entry level rod, I don't mind spending a little more for a decent reel to complete the package. What model Pfleuger did you buy? Always loved those reels. Thanks.

Fishingood,

I have the 4 piece 9' #5 three forks rod. I really liked it for the price I paid....Too bad I broke the tip. Finally found the receipt tucked away. I hope Cabela's will help me out, I've been really hard on my gear this past year or so.

Hope you get good use out of it,

Jake

Back