anyone ever try silicone boot spray as a flotant

O

oldcrow

im a cheap a** at heart and love multi purpose products so i was just curious as to weather anyone had ever tried this or what the thoughts are on using this product it is inexpensive and can be used for alot of things i use it on my boots my camping gear my knife sheaths my thoughts are that it would more than likely make a great flotant....but is it going to have to much of an odor or bad taste that may actually repel fish?? thank you

I haven't tried the stuff for boots, but I have tried Kiwi Camp Dry, which is a silicone spray you can use for tents, chairs, etc. Other non fly fishing silicone liquid treatments include things like Scotch Guard and Rain X. The FF industry has similar products too, such as Watershed, and Cortland has a spray, and many others I'd expect.

It works. Flies float longer, and dry quicker after getting soaked, essentially permanently waterproofs the material. I would imagine virtually all silicone treatments are similar. But here's the skinny. The low viscosity ones like this have an alcohol base as a wetting agent, allowing more complete coverage. The silicon is bonded to the alcohol, not the fly material. While wet, it would actually sink the fly, and in fact alcohols are used as sinkants. It has to dry completely before it works. This is not a streamside thing, but you can pre-treat at the vice, or just take the spray to your dry fly box! Once it dries, then the silicon bonds to the material of the fly.

The pre-treated just make it harder to soak, and easier to dry with backcasts and so forth. It waterproofs it.

Streamside floatants, whether gels or powders, also use silicone to repel water, but they have a base which bonds to soft materials like thread, feathers, and dubbing, thus being useful immediately, and allowing you to re-apply as necessary. It might even be that the pre-treatments lessen the effectiveness of the streamside floatants by preventing that bonding.

I tend to use the gels. But pre-treating with a silicone treatment, combined with a desicant, might be the best combo.

I've used Camp Dry as a pre-treatment on flies in the past. I found that it made a huge difference and the pre treatment with CD was actually a better than on-the-water treatment with Gink. As pcray says the fly will be easier to dry off also, MUCH easier. The CD did, however, matt down peacock herl and discolor floss and fine dubbings. The underlying thread color showed through a lot. But the pro's outweigh the con's. You may want to consider how you want to fish a fly before treating it.

Kev

I think the products like Watershed are the way to go. Designed not to discolor the fly.

Not a spray, just a dropper bottle. Get 1 bottle. Go through your boxes and put 1 drop on all dry flies. It will cover it completely, no need to rub in. Just leave box open overnight so that it dries.

Or, if you tie them all, make a habit of doing it at the vice.

I don't know why you couldn't use silicone boot spray on flies. Sr. Management (the Mrs.) threw out my old can of Camp-Dri, so I just finished coating my full brim Desert Storm fishing hat with Green Mucilin. It took about a half a container to do it. Having a treated hat allows me to fish in the rain with my $2500/pop hearing aids.

I think Green Mucilin is the bomb. Dry fly floatant, line dressing, lube the bail spring on an old spinning reel, re-waterproof my hat.

It does it all...

Yeah, my fishing hat has a couple of cans of silicone based waterproofing spray on it. It used to be suede, hehe. It is funny, I can dunk the thing under water, lift it out, give it a quick shake, and it's dry to the touch.

The only problem is if I don't have it sitting just right, it pools up a little on the brim. Then I look down or something and woosh, I just dumped a small lake....

The one drawback with this stuff, is that the treated flies need to dry for awhile before use. And I have such a large stock of dry flies, that it would be a bit of a project to treat them all before hand.
I find the steam side treatments to be a lot handier. And - as pcray mentioned - you can re-apply as needed.

So..with the name like dryflyguy, you want me to believe you have a big collection of dries? Hmmm. Not sure I'm buying that story. LOL

I have pretreated my flies by both spraying and dipping them in silicone. I really didn't seem very effective in making them float better. I know treat them with a little (very little) floatant after I tie them on my tippet and use "Frogs Fanny" to revive them when them get slimed up.

Back