Anyone ever buy in bulk from these guys?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with Moscow Hide and Fur in Idaho?

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Dressed.html

They have a lot of stuff that many of us who don't hunt but who tie flies use and the prices seem to be pretty dang good.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Mr. Murphy,

Holy smokes there prices are steep what are you looking for and how many flies do you NEED to tie with it?

I'd just post a want list on hunting pa.com and you'll prob get some hunters willing to share there skins with you for little to nothing. Damaged or sub par trapping fur is worthless.

For me a whole rat skin for $16 would last me 6 lifetimes.

Dear little lehigh,

I'm not talking about buying a whole deer hide or anything like that. You have to look at the bottom of the page and shop for the under $2.00, under $ 5.00, and under $ 10.00 stuff.

Fox tails are $ 4.95 - 7.95, they are easily $15.00 - 20.00 in a fly shop assuming you can even find one.

Partridge breasts and saddles are $ 3.50, a 1/4 oz package of partridge in a shop is $ 4.95 and many of those feathers are close to useless for anything other than gills on a nymph.

Bucktails are $ 3.00 for #1 quality 16" tails, and $ 2.35 for # 1 quality 13" tails.

Muskrat is $ 2.50 for 2 1/2 ounces.

Peacock tail feathers are $ 4.95 for ten feathers. That's about 3 or 4 packs of strung herl at $ 4.00 a package.

I wasn't looking to corner the market but I do know that I don't hunt so I won't be shooting anything for myself and I figured someone might have dealt with them? At those kind of prices I'm probably going to take a flyer and order some stuff.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I didn't see that those prices are excellent. I have bookmarked that page thanks for passing the info along!

Tim,

I have ordered material from them but it unfortunately wasn't a hide and had nothing to do with fly tying.

I made custom stag knives for my groomsman and that's where I ordered the antlers.

They had a very fast turn around, I think I had my order within a couple days. I know it shipped same day. They were very easy to deal with and the antlers I received were very good quality.

Let us know if you place on order for tails or hides and how they turn out to be. Good luck.

Back