Anyone dress their SA lines?

Jeremi

Jeremi

I have a few of the SA lines left. I use the abrassive pad to clean them. That is supposed to be all you need to do. Anyone apply a line dressing on their lines as well?

Yes.
Wash once a season, when I use the little pad it usually gets a coating of Cortland lien cleaner, sits for 20 minutes, then wiped off.

There's a better option. Zipcast.

It's expensive, at around $12 shipped, but it works. One bottle lasts a long time, since you're only using 3 or 4 drops to do the whole line.

It's also easier and quicker than the soap and water in the sink routine. Just pinch a pad, like a gun cleaning patch, with 3 or 4 drops of Zipcast on it around your fly line. Pull your line through the patch as far as you want. Fold other side of patch around line, pinch, and reel line back on. Done.

Zipcast cleans better than soap and water, and doesn't abrade your line like the abrasive SA pads. It also leaves behind a slick teflon coating, but that wears off after a day or so. No gummy mess like silicone gel line treatments.

No line cleaning method works if it isn't done regularly. The key thing about Zipcast is that it is easy and quick enough to do every time you put your reel away after a day of fishing. Next time you use that reel, you have a clean and slick line ready to go.

FWIW - I have no financial interests in Zipcast, but I'm just a long time, very satisfied user of it.

Haven't heard anything about it in a few years. But does anyone still use RainX for a line dressing?

Jeremi wrote:
Haven't heard anything about it in a few years. But does anyone still use RainX for a line dressing?

Jeremi,

You may be right. I found this when I googled Brumfield Enterprises (Zipcast) from Downingtown, Pa.

http://flyreeldots.com/

Looks like Jerry hung it up. Too bad, he's nice guy and had an awesome product.

He hasn't posted on here for a while. Hope all is well with him.

Edit: It's unclear to me if Zipcast or any other products are still available for sale. Has anyone ordered lately?

afish - Yeah, Jerry closed his business. He was at the Trico Mini-Jam last summer. He's gonna do more fishing now, so we may see him drop in here more in the future.

If anyone wants Zipcast, it can be ordered from the link I posted above. Tom Kirkman is the owner/inventor of it, and I've ordered direct from him in the past. He's the editor of a rodbuilding magazine, but I forget what it's called.

I'm set for quite a few years on Zipcast, thanks to Jerry. Great guy, and really nice to fish with.

zipcast site is still up. I am going to order some now. I'll let you know what happens.

Edit:

Ordered two bottles and it went through. Just got confirmation email. I'll update if it arrives.

Edit again: Good to hear, ed.

Back