Anyone Build Nets?

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

I'm interested in building my own C&R landing net, something I can pass on to my grandson.

Who sells the rubber C&R net bags? How do I size the bag to fit the steam bent frame? How is the bag tied to the frame?

Can anyone recommend a website or two that a beginner can visit?

I've developed an AutoCAD drawing of what I'd like to build, I also have a full blown wood shop. Traded a fiancée for it... long story, but a happy ending, at least for me...

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I won't be in PA until mid-May, so you folks enjoy yourself tomorrow... I'll be out there in spirit.

UncleShorty wrote:
Who sells the rubber C&R net bags? How do I size the bag to fit the steam bent frame? How is the bag tied to the frame?

Just search replacement c&r nets on the web. There are usually sizing guides provided.

Build a jig with the shape of the hoop you want to build. Rip strips of desired wood 3/8"- 1/4". I like a light then dark combination. My last one was maple and walnut. Cut the handle out. Lay handle in the jig and glue the first ripped strip to the handle only. Then keep layering remembering to glue each strip, obviously. Let the glue set, then remove from the jig and sand and finish.

The nets are available from Brodin and you attach it by string through holes drilled in the hoop.

There are a few videos on Youtube that go through the process. I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but it's a good place to start. I've looked into it before and will eventually make one but I haven't yet.
My net cracked and is going to break soon enough. When it does finally I'll know more about building them.

Thank you. I had planned to do just as you recommend.

I know I have to drill holes for tying the net in.

How do you do the actual tying? Can you point me to a website?

Post some picts of the one(s) you built if you can.

I'm thinking of going with four 1/8 " strips. Walnut - maple - maple - walnut. Then some figured cherry for the handle and my initials inlaid in the handle in maple.

Man, it's 01:00 and I'm itchin to get out in the shop. Think the bandsaw would wake the wife???

The Brodin website had a video showing how to string the net bag to the frame. I followed that when I put a Ghost bag on a frame that had a deep cloth bag. Brodin sends the cord along with their bag.

Thanks for the info I'll check it out. I've redesigned my hoop to fit a Ghost Bag and was actually surprised at how inexpensive, ($25), they seem. I expected to pay at least double that price.

Man I'm stoked to do this. I haven't been this excited since Cletus saw that ground hog go under the back house...

Back